Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Titanium 5 Door came with a keypad on the left of the steering wheel. It's a security system that requires me to press 1234# everytime I start the car in order to unlock the transmission (if someone doesnt know the code, they can't take the car out of Park).

However, as I live in a good neighborhood i'm not too worried about getting my car stolen (plus, it's a Ford Focus) and I was wondering how to turn off this feature. I can't find anything in the Owner's Manual that mentions this keypad, so i'm guessing it doesn't come standard on the Focus.

Help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
455 Posts
owners manual has the info! enjoy your new ride they are sweet!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swear to God i've looked through the whole thing! Could someone tell me which section it's in? (I know, I feel dumb right now)

·
Registered
796 Posts
google the owners manual and if its available as a pdf download it and then use the search feature

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did, there's no mention of the VTP Keypad anywhere in the Owner's Manual or even on Google.

Do all Titaniums even have this thing?

EDIT: I just found a VTP card that came with my Owner's Manual case, and it has a Sunrise Ford (LA dealer) logo on it, so i'm guessing this is a dealer thing. I have to enable "Valet Mode" for it to turn off. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did, there's no mention of the VTP Keypad anywhere in the Owner's Manual or even on Google.

Do all Titaniums even have this thing?

EDIT: I just found a VTP card that came with my Owner's Manual case, and it has a Sunrise Ford (LA dealer) logo on it, so i'm guessing this is a dealer thing. I have to enable "Valet Mode" for it to turn off. Thanks for the help guys.
Yes, whatever is in your car is an aftermarket alarm system that your dealer installed and probably charged you for. No Foci come from the factory with a keypad by the steering wheel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2012 Titanium 5 Door came with a keypad on the left of the steering wheel. It's a security system that requires me to press 1234# everytime I start the car in order to unlock the transmission (if someone doesnt know the code, they can't take the car out of Park).
Picture? Curious...

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

However, as I live in a good neighborhood i'm not too worried about getting my car stolen (plus, it's a Ford Focus) and I was wondering how to turn off this feature. I can't find anything in the Owner's Manual that mentions this keypad, so i'm guessing it doesn't come standard on the Focus.

Help would be appreciated!
It sounds like something that the dealer installed.

I question whether it has any value because I don't think it's possible to move the shift lever from Park without turning on the ignition (which of course requires the IA key).

Perhaps an explanation from the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic:

http://imgur.com/DBXGT

I was never asked whether I wanted it or not, and it was already in the car when I test drove it before buying. I guess I'll just tell my dealer to uninstall it whenever I take my car in for the DCT update.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have this on mine too (also Sunrise Ford). The VTP connects to a rough cable patch under the steering wheel, next to the footwell LED. It looks like 4 wires; Power (with inline fuse), chassis ground and a 2 conductor zip cable 'think speaker wires' routing to the center console - presumably to the PARK lock as commented on by someone else.

It looks like this is essentially a gimmick with no real security benefit over Securilock and Perimeter alarm. I found a ticket in the car showing $595.00 cost for VTP and $395 for Express Etch Code. They told me they would leave the 'alarm' <!!> installed at no cost to me or remove it at no cost at a later date, and would only charge me $100 for the etch. Unfortunately for me it looks like they did not replace the ignition bezel when fitting the system.

At least they were up front, unlike the local Toyota dealer that sold me their 'alarm', which I later found out triggered on the interior light circuit, but in their wisdom they connected it to the map lights - rendering it instantly useless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts