Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 zx3 with the 2.0 5 speed manual, and a few weeks ago it stuttered in 5th gear doing about 75 and then i couldn't downshift. i started having issues on a cold start where i couldnt take it out of gear or put it into reverse since it's gotten cold out. 3rd gear grinds everytime i shift to it before ir engages, the clutch pedal feels loose. i can only downshift below 30 mph and when i replaced the transmission fluid there was no metal fragments. also along with fluid replacement i made sure all the shifting linkage external was attatched. is it possible for the clutch to be worn because sometimes in first i can push the clutch to the floor and still accelerate
HELP ME!!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's the other way around for a worn clutch...when you accelerate it doesn't grab all the way and you can feel it slipping. Eventually you'll put it in gear and it'll rev but not propel you forward at all.
Sounds more like you have a slave/throwout bearing issue, making it not disengage all the way.
Not sure on the '05, but the '00-'04s have the slave and throwout bearing together mounted inside the transmission housing, so you have to crack the tranny anyway. If you're doing that, you may want to do the clutch plate while you're in there if it looks even a bit worn.

With the clutch pedal pressed, can you shift freely (i.e. not to drive but just to move the stick through the various positions)? If not, check your linkage again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when sitting at a light or just parked i can shift through the gears up and down is there a way to adjust the throwout bearing? or is that one of those things you just throw away and replace

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
So it's not the linkage.

As far as I know it's not adjustable. But my experience is with the first-gens, so it's possible they changed the set-up for '05-'07.

Can you double-clutch into 3rd without grinding?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Think of ways you might have gotten air into the clutch hydraulics. Is there a little fluid leaking down the clutch pedal from the clutch master cylinder? Look for fluid at the weep hole on the transmission, too. Alternatively, did your brake fluid get too low recently?

Toby

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see everything is dry no leaks but i added almost half a bottle (12 oz.) bottle of brake fluid into the reservoir but my brakes are new. is it possible that the release fingers are bent or worn or broken?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When a clutch is severely worn, pieces of lining material can come loose to jam it up partially engaged - seen it before on here.

Since checking that requires pulling the trans & doing a clutch job, doing all you can to ensure the release system is working properly is the FIRST step.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
every shop i've asked wants to rebuild the trans but i know the transmissions fine it drives fine and it feels more like a clutch issue

·
Registered
521 Posts
see everything is dry no leaks but i added almost half a bottle (12 oz.) bottle of brake fluid into the reservoir but my brakes are new.
Did you have the brake work done recently? Who did the work, and when in relation to the clutch problems? When you added fluid, how low was it?

Toby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts