Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if this is common and if anyone knows what happened,

I was driving to work. Stop at a stoplight, go to drive and the tranny never shifted out of first. It would rev at about 6k but never shift. Tried doing it in auto stick, same thing. I know the transmissions on these things are horrible and apparently from what I have read even more so on the 2012. I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this? It's currently at the shop (god bless warranties) so i really dont care as long as it gets taken care of im just wondering if it is a common problem

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Curious if this is common and if anyone knows what happened,

I was driving to work. Stop at a stoplight, go to drive and the tranny never shifted out of first. It would rev at about 6k but never shift. Tried doing it in auto stick, same thing. I know the transmissions on these things are horrible and apparently from what I have read even more so on the 2012. I was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this? It's currently at the shop (god bless warranties) so i really dont care as long as it gets taken care of im just wondering if it is a common problem
Are you currently at a Ford Dealer or an independent shop?

Meagan

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Dealership
Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll look into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
56 Posts
DCT shifted out of gear

I've also joined the ranks of transmission problems.

Today, on a limited access road [flat road, steady 35 mph traffic] the tach went to the redline and the car started coasting.

I made it to the shoulder and stopped. The info display helpfully cautioned me that the hill assist was not available. I release the brake and tried to drive off, but the transmission did not engage a gear.

I shut the car off, let things sit for a minute and restarted - the car drove normally the rest of the way to work.

[2012 SEL, 56 k miles, busted MFT computer - but that's a different gripe]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Died again today - car will be towed to local dealer tomorrow. [towed to the house this afternoon]

Today's failure did not display 'hill assist not available' message, but the check engine light is now on. Time to try out my harbor freight OBD reader and see what codes are recorded.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The check engine light comes on with the engine.

The reader reports code U0101 "Lost Communication with TCM"

Sitting in the driveway, transmission in 'park', handbrake set [as the transmission cannot be trusted] and the message 'hill start assist not available' is displayed

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
CunFF - TCM isn't part of the DCT warranty extension, read the details closer.

TCM/PCM falling under Emissions warranty has helped some get it covered, you need to look closely at what's covered under that as it's changed over the years & varies by states as well.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
I will try but Ford states the TCM is part of the emissions system.....
Do you have over 60,000 miles on your Focus? Ford's emission warranty is 5yr/60,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Ford's emission warranty is 5yr/60,000 miles.
Isn't that the powertrain warranty? But yes, the TCM would be covered under it.

The emissions warranty is actually 8yr/80,000 miles on most trucks/passenger vehicles (non-hybrid) where the TCM would also be covered.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Died again today - car will be towed to local dealer tomorrow. [towed to the house this afternoon]

Today's failure did not display 'hill assist not available' message, but the check engine light is now on. Time to try out my harbor freight OBD reader and see what codes are recorded.
The check engine light comes on with the engine.

The reader reports code U0101 "Lost Communication with TCM"

Sitting in the driveway, transmission in 'park', handbrake set [as the transmission cannot be trusted] and the message 'hill start assist not available' is displayed
Hi there,

Were you able to go to the dealer today? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi there,

Were you able to go to the dealer today? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan
The car is currently at Newins Bay Shore Ford [631 665 1300] - but they will not be able to look at it until Wednesday or Thursday.
There are about 56k miles on the odometer.

The tow truck driver reports that the check engine light was on when he parked the car in one of the 'inside the fence' spaces at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The car is currently at Newins Bay Shore Ford [631 665 1300] - but they will not be able to look at it until Wednesday or Thursday.
There are about 56k miles on the odometer.

The tow truck driver reports that the check engine light was on when he parked the car in one of the 'inside the fence' spaces at the dealer.
Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, and full name. I'll check into some options.

Meagan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts