Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have A focus se automatic and wanted to swap to a manual. Has anyone done this with a ford transmission swap. Wanted to know price options and best route to take while keeping it cheap in price

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just buy a manual car. There are so many parts/pieces, and it may never feel right. Trans, clutch pedal and probably brake pedal, all the parts/pieces of the gear shift and linkage, the all new hydraulics for the clutch. And you can buy a 2016 manual for about 7K with low miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those tu
Just buy a manual car. There are so many parts/pieces, and it may never feel right. Trans, clutch pedal and probably brake pedal, all the parts/pieces of the gear shift and linkage, the all new hydraulics for the clutch. And you can buy a 2016 manual for about 7K with low miles.
Those typically have no leather and what not

·
Registered
86 Posts
But aren’t ford manual transmissions cheap? I keep Seeing them for cheap
They may be, and you don't know the quality of the item. Also count the cost of the other parts needed, and how long will it be down during conversion? How much is your labor worth?

·
FF Affiliate
30,376 Posts
Yes the swap can be done , find a salvage 5 speed and you have all the parts needed

My Custom Tune helps the DCT and how it works a good bit

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the swap can be done , find a salvage 5 speed and you have all the parts needed

My Custom Tune helps the DCT and how it works a good bit

Tom
I recently Talked to an transmission expert and he said that my car is too new to do that due to the computers and programming needed to be done it’d be too expensive he says thoughts?

·
FF Affiliate
30,376 Posts
The Tune to make it all work if your not changing the wiring and PCM is 462.00 and you will also get better daily driveability , more HP and TQ better throttle response , most say better MPG and much more

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Tune to make it all work if your not changing the wiring and PCM is 462.00 and you will also get better daily driveability , more HP and TQ better throttle response , most say better MPG and much more

Tom
how much to change the wiring and where would I get a good transmission for the swap at a fair price?

·
FF Affiliate
30,376 Posts
You do NOT have to change the wiring or PCM , I would search for a salvaged 5 speed 2012 to 2018 and you will have all the parts

Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Www.car-part.com for your transmission. What he's saying is he will sell you a tune/tuner to delete the auto transmission functions from your current computer and you just need to wire in what you need (reverse lights, clutch switch, ect.)

·
Registered
494 Posts
There are different routes you can go. One as suggested is to keep your PCM and buy a tune after your swap is done. This will get rid of the 3500 rpm limit.

The other is to use a manual PCM from the doner car and reprogram it. I found a doner car on car-part.com and got the transmission and just about everything else I needed. Added some new axle seals and a new clutch kit and was able to get by doing it all (including programming) for $750 plus about 20 hours of my labor using shade-tree mechanic tools (working off jack stands). This option lets you use the auto wiring harness with a few minor modifications and also gets rid of the 3500 rpm limit in addition to working reverse lights and cruise control. Before you contact a salvage yard about a doner transmission, be sure to do your homework and have a complete list of parts you need from the doner vehcle. Let them know what you are doing so they know to save all the nuts and bolts for the swap. Some say you don't know the condition of the used transmission, but I was able to find one that was low mileage and the vehicle had significant collision damage that did not impact the condition of the tranny and other parts I needed.

Mine is a SEL with nice leather seats and other nice features. From what I hear, SELs with a 5-speed are very rare. I also know that the engine in my car is in very good condition so in doing the swap, I knew that in the end, I would have a good car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts