Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my girlfriends car is slamming in to gears as it shift.

its a 04 ses i believe. just started doing this, is it low on fluid should i add more or just change it all?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
How do we know if it's low? Pull the dipstick and check. sheesh, LOL.

It could be, but it seem more times than not when a trans is low it wants to slip.
It could be that the fluid is that dirty and a solenoid is sticking or the torque converter isn't unlocking. Again, both could be caused by dirty fluid.

Happen to be any pending codes?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
How do we know if it's low? Pull the dipstick and check. sheesh, LOL.

It could be, but it seem more times than not when a trans is low it wants to slip.
It could be that the fluid is that dirty and a solenoid is sticking or the torque converter isn't unlocking. Again, both could be caused by dirty fluid.

Happen to be any pending codes?

[facepalm] OMG. Seriously check it. Sounds like maintenance or even checking fluids wasn't in the cards when that car was built [rofl]

Check the fluid, ussally if it's low it slips, and won't want to take off very easily. If it's slamming into gears it may need the filter changed or heck even a rebuild. We need more information to really make a better guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so this car does have the dip stick in the transmission? i havent had a chance to look at it since she said it started. i guess thats my first step. whats othe rinformation do you need?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had this once, my check engine light eventually came on and gave me a code (don't remember the exact one) but it told me the sensor that feeds back gear selection information to the BCM was faulty.

·
Registered
130 Posts
could be an engine mount that is damaged/broken. Check all 3? i believe. Pop the hood and have someone put the car in gear as u watch to see if/how much the engine moves

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this once, my check engine light eventually came on and gave me a code (don't remember the exact one) but it told me the sensor that feeds back gear selection information to the BCM was faulty.
Is that an easy replacement or better for a shop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts