Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2014 Focus SE Hatch with the Dual Clutch Auto and have been noticing some shuddering in the lower gear changes. The car currently has around 47,000 miles and the shuddering seems to get worse day by day. I’ve done some research on the matter and I’ve heard of a tune from this guy named Tom on here, however, I can’t go out and start spending a ton of money. The car still has its warranty (around 20,000 miles left) and I want to know what I could do to make sure it gets fixed and fixed for good since this car needs to last me through college and maybe longer since so far I’m loving it. I’ve been conversing with my parents on what we could do and they recommended to take it to our local mechanic who is very trustworthy and have him check the transmission and identify exactly what’s wrong with it to then take it to Ford and have them fix exactly what is wrong. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm sure your mechanic has very well heard of these problems. If you car was built after September of 2013, your warranty on the clutches expires after 60,000 miles. Ford will replace the clutches, but you should be aware that the problem will come back within 15-20k miles.

Tom changes the shift strategy of the car within the software. He's had great results. If you're looking to keep the car long term, you really need to consider his tune. Costs $462 and you get free tune updates for life if you add any mods. Given that clutch replacement costs $1000 or more (someone reported $2200, ouch) Tom's tune is by far the better option.

For some reason Ford feels the car is more comfortable when you slip the clutches at launch and so they program it to do so. This causes excess wear. I have to disagree with Ford; Tom's tune is more comfortable.

Jason

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts