Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 2.0 automatic focus. I had my transmission in for a fluid change. The next day I noticed that the transmission now is slipping and there is a long delay between shifting from gear to gear before it engages. I stopped and checked the fluid and it was about 1.5" over the max fill level. I called the shop and took it in to have the fluid removed. Now with the fluid level where it should be. but it is still slipping and having engagement problems. I told them this and they said there must be another problem because there is a breather so that no harm will come to the transmission from overfilling. Is that true? In the manual it states that this is what happens when you overfill the fluid and major damage can result. I'm thinking that the transmission shop is responsible for the damage. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would start out by taking it to a ford dealership, somewhere different and talk to them about it and if possible have them check it out if any damage was done. If there is damage then you can bring it up with a lawyer and have the shop pay for your damage. I hope everything turns out fine :/

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a 05 2.0 automatic focus. I had my transmission in for a fluid change. The next day I noticed that the transmission now is slipping and there is a long delay between shifting from gear to gear before it engages. I stopped and checked the fluid and it was about 1.5" over the max fill level. I called the shop and took it in to have the fluid removed. Now with the fluid level where it should be. but it is still slipping and having engagement problems. I told them this and they said there must be another problem because there is a breather so that no harm will come to the transmission from overfilling. Is that true? In the manual it states that this is what happens when you overfill the fluid and major damage can result. I'm thinking that the transmission shop is responsible for the damage. What do you guys think?
the "breather" will expell some fluid and froth but you need to have some removed. mine was overfilled when i got it and the shifts were sudden and violent, after i drained (maintenance) and refilled to the correct line it shifts alot quieter and smoother.
and my experience with service people is almost always bullshit. if they seemed to know what they were talking about and seemed confident real cut and dry they were mostlikely bullshtiting you to get you out. i know, ive done it( i work in retail/sales)

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
dumb asses.... sorry I just had to say that

^^ I'll have to admit, I might just be too honest (at work) sometimes..... telling customers stuff I probably shouldn't, but you know what? I see those same people come in every week or two, or maybe even more than once a week, and they still come back and buy in a place where the most ripping-off occurs..... a movie theater snack bar.....

when I'm a tech I vow to be honest..... as stupid as it sounds, I'd much rather be in a shop with cars and all that, than to have a nice big house..... so I'm not gonna get tired of it, and in return start to screw the clients..... I'd also love to open a shop (somewhere) that specializes in the focus, because I see a TON of them here......

sorry for gettin a bit off track, but I felt like I needed to get that out [:)] I'd say just have the shop drain it and fill it up to the correct level, assuming they'll cooperate and take responsibility (you might have a 50/50 chance, unless they're a good company, then it might be higher in your favor if they want to keep you and their money) if it still does as mentioned, explain them and your suggested course of action. good luck with that.

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
sucks man. my bro had his trucks transmission drained and refilled and same poo happened to his truck. slipping not catching gears. it doesnt go past 3rd gear. and im sure yours was running fine until the shop did that right? did you find out if it was the timing maybe? and need a new belt for it? that would be better than you having to replace the transmission. but on the other hand if the shop that overfilled it pays for the damages then i'd go with that option.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If they were sloppy enough to overfill by that much, they were sloppy enough to use the wrong fluid. I would make them drain the whole thing and put in MERCON V, not the general purpose DEX/MERC stuff.

They should be willing to do this, as they have already admitted screwing up once. If you still have damage and they stonewall you, it's time for small claims court...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts