Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to the Focus world and just got a used '13 Focus SE with the DCT. Last 2 cars were manuals and knew how the tranny operated so I am used to the "jerky" feel of shifting.

What I am curious about is that before I bought it they took the car to a Ford dealership where they "reset" the trans computer. It is shifting great, just like I expected, but my fuel economy is not doing great. Barely getting close to 30 even at low speeds (65mph) on the freeway. Any ideas?

I am also interested in increasing the low end torque/hp of this beast, in lieu of creating multiple threads, anywhere you could point me would be awesome!

Thank you,
Josh

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Don't trust the calculated MPG on the dash and don't get too worried until you've hand-calculated several tanks and it's consistently low.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I am in the same boat, i barely get 30 mpg myself. sucks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Go ahead & make another thread, a better place would be the Duratec TiVCT performance section.

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
My around the City average for 12,000miles is 32mpg.
The variability of the individual mpg is well known here.
Some folks get good mpgs. some bad.

The main thing i can pinpoint as a huge gas waster is repeated stopping.
A lot of stop and go driving totally destroys mpgs on the MK3.
If I head over to the East side on my Metro area, lots of small streets and lots of cars, and lots of stoplights and stopsigns.
Around there my mpg is 27mpg at best.

Where I live is mostly good stretches of driving with few(er) stops.
I also do not need to drive at rush hour. So even my in town freeway hops are at the speed limit (Instead of crawling along and stop.start/stop/start of rush hour. Plus I keep the RMP low.

Finally the MK3 is really a prime example of a car which if treated with all the gas saving respect, really does shine with good mpgs. And if you ignore those ways, and happen to do a lot of stop and go driving, then your mpgs may be abysmal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've only put just over 1000 miles on my car. First tank was 34.5 mpg, second tank was 36 mpg, third tank was 36.8 mpg. These were all hand calculated. My typical drive to work is 2 miles city then 8 miles of 55 mph, then 14 miles at 70 mph, 3 miles of 65 mph, 2 miles city. If I had all 55 mph highway I think I could get 40+mpg.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only put just over 1000 miles on my car. First tank was 34.5 mpg, second tank was 36 mpg, third tank was 36.8 mpg. These were all hand calculated. My typical drive to work is 2 miles city then 8 miles of 55 mph, then 14 miles at 70 mph, 3 miles of 65 mph, 2 miles city. If I had all 55 mph highway I think I could get 40+mpg.
I guess I'll be doing some manual calculations for my next few tanks, I won't be jumping to any conclusions yet but it's discouraging seeing those low numbers. I bought this car for its mpg and sportiness, loving the sportiness so far, but will continue to pursue those MPGs

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I've only put just over 1000 miles on my car. First tank was 34.5 mpg, second tank was 36 mpg, third tank was 36.8 mpg. These were all hand calculated.
How does that correlate with what the car is telling you?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I get about 20.7 - 21 mpg in my city. I travel a total of 12 miles a day Maybe 18 once a week. Most of my drive is hills, if there isn't a hill then I'm plagued with red lights every 100 feet lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went on my first 95% freeway road trip last weekend and used select shift and paid attention to my driving style and got 37 mpg on the freeway :) I love this car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts