Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Focus wagon apparently needs a total transmission rebuild. I'm being quoted $2,500 to $2,700 for the job by a shop I have generally trusted, but that figure seems awfully high (or maybe I'm just old - the last time I remember having something like this done to one of my cars I think it cost around $1,000). Is this price out of line? What should it cost?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Waaayyyy too much.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
If you're talking the full R&R experience then no not too high, it would take that much to do it CORRECTLY. Having said that though, the vast majority of them will be simply slapped together with no real checking of all the myriad clearances needed there. New parts alone are enough to ATX techies and have been for a good while, the art of how to spend a bit more time to double the life of the trans easily is lost now. If I did it say, it would cost that much but then when I do one they always last ten years plus after doing them. You're not going to find a shop that does that though, they cut way too many loose ends to make more money.

Look around, if you want cheaper you will surely find it, but that can surely bite you on the ......................

You realize of course there are several fairly easy to fix things on this trans that the shops can do rather than the oft quoted, 'you need a new trans', about half the time that is untrue. But that does not stop them at all. They will always jump to exploit that which you do not understand, it's the 'free market economy' way..........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed and helpful response AMC. I do realize that shops can easily sell owners a costly rebuild or replacement when a lesser repair would fix the problem. Of course, like most "civilians", I have no idea how to tell it's necessary or not.

The transmission definitely has serious problems though. I am getting codes P0771 (solenoid E stuck), P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio), P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio). After the car warms up it loses 1st gear, becomes sluggish, shifts hard (especially into reverse), and the "((!))" warning light comes on. If I turn the car off and on again this condition clears, but it soon returns.

I have also already been through the lesser repair with this car. I had a different shop replace one of the solenoids, which seemed to clear the problem up for about a day and a half, then it came right back with a different solenoid code.

Every shop I've taken it to says it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Since my last post I have priced this job with several shops and have received quotes for the same service (removal and complete rebuild) that are mostly lower. But not by a whole lot. Apparently part of the problem is that the valve body for this tranny is pretty expensive, at well over $500. So I guess I'm down to biting the bullet and asking around about which shop will do decent work at a price that's not more than the whole car is worth.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If the body is good w/o a lot of 'cancer' then spend the money
You just might want to see if there are any later wagons [last year made 2007] available though
There is nothing that can hold that much YET still get good gas mileage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts