Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you Fofanatics I need help.
I drive a 2001 escape 2.0 Zetec, 5spd.
Runs great, love it, daily driver, very important to my livelyhood.
BUT, the 5 spd is giving out after 95,000.
SO I need a trans: Problem!
Will any Focus trans fit?
Can't find an Escape 5 spd trans within 500 miles, and that one is at a junk yard (not real interested in that one).
Rebuilts cost $1300 plus shipping from Florida and installation.
By the time I add a clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing it would be over 2Grand.
I'd rather put in a new performance mod.
But can't find any online for Escape.
Yet Focus stuff is very evident.
VIN for trans YL847003AH---any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Can't help you with the technical part of the question, but if you don't get an answer try Mike at the Hilbush Ford Forum here on Monday (Phone # should be at the start of the forum, best to give him a call)

·
Registered
82 Posts
What exactly do you mean by the transmission giving out?

The only thing that might be different in the mtx would be final drive ratio, but usually not unless the engine is different. The cougar/con-tique zetec has the 3.82fd & the 2.5 duratec has a 4.06fd. They both interchange but wont work with their other counterpart motor, because of the input shaft length. I'd say buy a junker one to drive & save to get yours rebuilt by Terry Haines of HMS.

Heres a zetec mtx75 for sell: Contour.org

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I don't see why they won't fit the trans should be the same. The only difference would be the axle's but you will reuse your old ones anyway. There were very few Escapes made with that combo and I'm sure you just found out how rare it was lol. The only difference I see is the linkage on top of the tranny where the cables connect. You would need to swap that part with the one from your old tranny. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh and it must be another zetec the spi tranny will not fit its different

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But

Yo sleepy
That's just it, the Escape doesn't have cables, it has a very stout set of tubular linkages and they connect at the lower bottom of the trans.
Also heard that the bell housing section can have very different bolt sizes and lengths from other 5spds.
Thanx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts