Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if I could get some kind of idea how long it would take to disconnect and pull the automatic transmission out of a 2012 Ford Focus. Gonna replace the seal and the dual clutch

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
That'd depend on if your in a shop w/ a hoist & tools or you doing this at home in the garage w/ jackstands & basic tools & of course your knowledge, how many breaks or do you keep going......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a lot of knowledge of working on cars. Not gonna take many breaks gonna stick with it until done. Have a lot of tools and transmission jack Gonna be in my garage on jack stands. Thanks

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
get it up on four jack stands, 1/2-1hr, possibly 1.5hr being on your back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2K11 focus wagon, I was told a flap on the engine is sticking which is holding it in 3RD. It's an automatic, when in park it just stays revved & gets inferior if push the break.

·
Registered
499 Posts
DIY tools for servicing the clutch can be put together for around $50. Also, look into Forscan for the relearn process using a laptop and a $20 scan tool.

See this video on making your own tools. Aside from the 1/4 inch plate, I pretty much have everything to do the job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need info

My 2012 Ford Focus SE shifts fine when it’s cold. After about 20 minutes of driving it starts the shuddering. Could it be something getting hot and then failing or could it be the dual clutch

·
Registered
499 Posts
My 2012 Ford Focus SE shifts fine when it’s cold. After about 20 minutes of driving it starts the shuddering. Could it be something getting hot and then failing or could it be the dual clutch
I would say it is the DCT. However, what is unknown is exactly what is causing the shuddering. The transmission seals are known to have issues and can allow oil to leak from the wet to the dry part of the transmission which contaminates the clutch and causes slipping. However, this is not the only issue with the DCT. For some reason, the shifting can get out of whack due to something that goes wrong with the adaptive learning process. If there doesn't appear to be any oil leaking into your bell housing area, it is more likely this type of issue. To remedy this, you can go through a clutch relearning process which can either be done at the dealer ($$) or using a cheap scan tool and the Forscan software. I'm actually due to do this again myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it is getting into the dry part of the transmission will you see it leaking under the car or is it a transmission pull

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it is getting into the dry part of the transmission will you see it leaking under the car or is it a transmission pull
First check for any signs of fluid at the bellhousing interface between the engine and tranny. That's not intended to be an oil tight interface since it is supposed to be dry inside. If you see oil, you have your answer. If not, you could go further and partially remove the bellhousing bolts to open a small gap just to be sure or just go ahead and do the relearn procedure, especially if you're going the Forscan route so it's not costing you a lot to do that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts