·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, So here's my story.

UPDATE:Cruise Control Won't Work Either

2001 Zetec SE
ATX 152,000 miles

Lately my transmission has had trouble shifting from 2nd-3rd. It's slowly progressed to it taking a good 2 full seconds to shift. I believe this is one of the solenoids. <-Please confirm??? But anyway...I can live with this, but today every so often my engine was idling at around 1300rpm and if I put it in park it would creep up to about 4500rpm, but if I gave it a quick blip of the throttle it would go back to normal. But then it stopped doing this all together and now if I'm cruising around 45mph and try to floor it, the car will not downshift and give me power. It just acts like I'm barely giving it gas. But I know it's not my engine, because if I manually downshift it into 2nd it will go fast again and I have power. The transmission is just not downshifting when I floor it to actually give me power.

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/Rabbitccc/?action=view&current=c6a3ae2d.mp4
I took a ,not so great, video and the first 2 "flooring attempts" are what's happening, and then the 3rd time is me putting it into 2nd manually and flooring it and on this 3rd go you can also note how long it takes to shift into 3rd. Then the 4th time is me just doing the same thing as the 1st and 2nd.

New transmission or is this something that can be fixed??? Any help would be great, Thanks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You appear to have idle speed/engine operating issues which can be the root cause of the shifting problems with the tranny. Is the SES light or a tranny warning light illuminated? You need to get this addressed ASAP.......selecting the tranny out of PARK (into a gear) with a crazy high idle speed is really hard on the tranny.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no lights or codes. And my normal idle is perfect. It's not idling high when I go to shift into gear. It's high when I go to shift into park. And that only happened a few times.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Sounds like your trans is on your way out, youll have to get it serviced. But I have to say, you do have a ton of miles on it lol, maybe you just need a trans flush and replacement. Have you had a tune up lately to? Like new air filter, check the belts, battery, clean MAF sensor?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Routine tune up stuff is all good. Engine performance is fine 0-60. The car just doesn't shift when it should. Upshift or downshift. And I just now noticed the cruise control isn't working either. The light illuminates but it won't work.
I just want to make sure it's nothing simple before I go replacing tramsmissions.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking for help.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Suggestion: Cruise relies on speed info from VSS, on an MTX. On an ATX, it's the TSS and OSS sensors, I believe. Might want to investigate those sensor for obvious faults. Transmission range sensor as well. What about also trying to remove the cruise control from the equation? Pull the fuse. (Check the throttle cable is slack afterwards. )
I suspect the lack of cruise and transmission problems might be all related to the ECU not "knowing" the actual vehicle speed. Just theorising...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for the advice. That's what I was wondering. Seeing as the cruise is gone maybe it was a sensor. But I wasn't familiar with what sensors would come into play. Cause my speedometer still works along with the tach.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. My scanner shows my vehicle speed as correct. Wouldn't that mean the ECU is seeing the correct speed?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I'll look into them, even though I'm not showing any codes. I'll double check though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts