Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Focus SE Hatchback with the common, dreaded DCT problems. We have had it serviced twice in the past 18 months for sputtering and hesitating when taking off from a stop. Now suddenly, the transmission is slipping like crazy when shifting gears. The car is not drivable.

In doing research on this issue, I learned that Lemon Law will not apply to my car because I bought it used (less than a year old with only 3,000 miles on it). What does that mean for me in terms of repair bills?? So far, Ford has fixed the sputtering issue for free....but if I need a new transmission, will I have to pay for that myself??? Hardly seems fair.

I'd really like to hear from others with this issue...is there any fix for it, and will Ford cover $$ repairs if you did not buy the car new??

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just had clutches + seals + TCM replaced. No charge under warranty extension. Dealer covered rental (2015 Charger R/T) for 3 days.

Bought the car used at a Jeep/Dodge/RAM dealership down the road from the dealership that did my warranty service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just had clutches + seals + TCM replaced. No charge under warranty extension. Dealer covered rental (2015 Charger R/T) for 3 days.

Bought the car used at a Jeep/Dodge/RAM dealership down the road from the dealership that did my warranty service.
Interesting they gave you a dodge for the rental. I was told I "had" to have a ford under the rental agreement (TCM replacement). And I had to argue to even get the rental. They gave me an F250, because that was the only ford in the rental fleet at the time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting they gave you a dodge for the rental. I was told I "had" to have a ford under the rental agreement (TCM replacement). And I had to argue to even get the rental. They gave me an F250, because that was the only ford in the rental fleet at the time.
Enterprise Rent A Car is in the area and handles our Ford dealer rentals.
The last time it was in the shop for exhaust work Enterprise gave a 2015 Focus DCT.

They didn't have a car for us (I turned 21 on the 3rd and couldn't handle the rental before then, so my dad swapped me his car) on the first day except for a transit connect so they showed up to my dad's house with a Charger R/T the next morning.

I've had about $4-5K in warranty work done there and they've taken care of me every time - no diagnostic fees, free rental car. No crazy prodding for me to get service done either even after I told them the front stabilizer bar end links were bad which I got done somewhere else. (Bought end links there, took them to mechanic)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Also it's not the transmission, it's the clutches and TCM.
Are not those clutches enclosed inside the transmission housing, and the TCM attached to the outside of it? Will the transmission function without either of those two components? With the DCT (as opposed to a manual transmission), the clutches are controlled by "the robot" (TCM + servos etc.) rather than the driver, making them more of an integrated part of the transmission functionally.

To most people the (technically accurate) distinction you and others keep making between those parts and the "gearbox" proper (with the shafts, gears, syncros, selectors, etc.) is irrelevant. All of those parts combined perform the function of transmitting the power from the engine to the wheels.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Are not those clutches enclosed inside the transmission housing, and the TCM attached to the outside of it? Will the transmission function without either of those two components? With the DCT (as opposed to a manual transmission), the clutches are controlled by "the robot" (TCM + servos etc.) rather than the driver, making them more of an integrated part of the transmission functionally.

To most people the (technically accurate) distinction you and others keep making between those parts and the "gearbox" proper (with the shafts, gears, syncros, selectors, etc.) is irrelevant. All of those parts combined perform the function of transmitting the power from the engine to the wheels.
If someone was selling a car and said it needed a new transmission because the clutch was bad what would your reaction be?

If he needs a new tranny because the gears are screwed it wouldn't be covered.
If he needs new clutches they aren't going to replace the tranny.

Two separate parts as I see them.
Wear item vs power train component.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
unfortunately it's important to make the fine distinctions because only certain parts have extended coverage for certain model years.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If someone was selling a car and said it needed a new transmission because the clutch was bad what would your reaction be?

If he needs a new tranny because the gears are screwed it wouldn't be covered.
If he needs new clutches they aren't going to replace the tranny.

Two separate parts as I see them.
Wear item vs power train component.
If it were a Mk3 Focus with a DCT my reaction would be that the robot must have repeatedly shifted between gear sets without completely disengaging the clutch(es) due to poorly designed software, damaging both the clutches and the gears as a result. (One member posted photos of the chunks of metal and damaged gears that came out of his transmission.)

If I were to drive my manual transmission that way it would not surprise me if Ford tried to make the case that the gear failure was the result of my driving habits and that it was not covered by warranty. I believe it should be possible to make a similar case in reverse (that it should be covered by warranty) for the DCT, since it (rather than the driver) controls the clutches and shifting.

I also said, "To most people ...". I understand the (correct) distiction you're making and its importance for the warranty coverage. It's just that it's usually easy to tell from the context of someone's comment whether it really matters or not and not bother correcting someone if it does not.

It's instructive that in the case of the DCT, it is the "wear item" for which the warranty has been extended. Not the usual case.

·
Registered
990 Posts
No offense but tl:dr.

OP states transmission is slipping and asked if it's covered under warranty.

Is it? Nope, but the clutches and TCM are.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus SE Hatchback with the common, dreaded DCT problems. We have had it serviced twice in the past 18 months for sputtering and hesitating when taking off from a stop. Now suddenly, the transmission is slipping like crazy when shifting gears. The car is not drivable.

In doing research on this issue, I learned that Lemon Law will not apply to my car because I bought it used (less than a year old with only 3,000 miles on it). What does that mean for me in terms of repair bills?? So far, Ford has fixed the sputtering issue for free....but if I need a new transmission, will I have to pay for that myself??? Hardly seems fair.

I'd really like to hear from others with this issue...is there any fix for it, and will Ford cover $$ repairs if you did not buy the car new??
Hey newtracy,

I responded to your PM a little bit ago; please send over the requested info when you get a chance.

Rachel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts