Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, im new here, looking for desperate help.
i own a 2010 focus se 2.0 automatic.
i purchased this car from a salvage auto auction online. The car had damage to the rear passenger side, which will required some body repair, and some rear suspension repairs. This is however the least of my problems.
Main issue is the transmission does not go into any gears. Here's what ive done so far.
Tested shifting to all gears, no transmission response.
removed shift link from tranny, manually shifted gears @ transmission, still no response.
Tranny oil level is good, oil looks clean and doesnt have a burnt odor. tested Neutral safety sensor, works perfect.. only starts in P and N.
transmission has 2 electric plugs in the front top of transmission.
1 leads to the Neutral safety sensor, and another to something else, that im not sure what it is. checked both connectors for power, tested ok.
I also unplugged the sensor located at the rear top of transmission which i believe is called shift speed sensor. checked that cable for power. did not have any power at either pins. not sure if it is supposed to have power there, or maybe my tester doesnt register if its really low amp.

not sure what else to test at this point. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Again car was purchased at a salvage auto auction with damage to the rear.
Car only has 73k miles. Car does start, and engine sounds really good.
Not sure if car was running at time of impact or not. (i would assume so)

I have a feeling the problem may be electrical or sensor/relay related, as doesnt shift into any gear, doesnt make any strange noise. fluid doesnt smell burnt,and is fairly clean, no signs of metal residue.
no check engine light. also checked fuses in instrument panel. fuses are good. did not check relays, not sure if one can be related.
thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
Moving this to "General Technical Chat" as it does seem that it might be something in the electrical connections that might be your problem.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Check oil level not running and then running in park, level should drop while running showing pump is eating fluid like normal. Then a line pressure check is in order. Gotta have pressure coming off pump or nothing else will make things work.

If accident impact was just right then maybe clean enough internal trans damage to not drive car (broken differential for instance) but not make noise either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Will give that a shot. Will also be posting pictures of damage just in case it helps.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
I am fairly sure the 2010 is electronic shift , linkage just tells the solenoids what gear to put the trans into , you need to see if there is a safety switch of some kind , there should be a hugh wiring harness into the trans and it goes to the ECU which 100% controles the trans but wouldnt think this would be a ECU issue ,

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am fairly sure the 2010 is electronic shift , linkage just tells the solenoids what gear to put the trans into , you need to see if there is a safety switch of some kind , there should be a hugh wiring harness into the trans and it goes to the ECU which 100% controles the trans but wouldnt think this would be a ECU issue ,

Tom
will check this as well, and give you guys updates. i will try taking some pictures to allow you guys to see what im seeing. thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check oil level not running and then running in park, level should drop while running showing pump is eating fluid like normal. Then a line pressure check is in order. Gotta have pressure coming off pump or nothing else will make things work.

If accident impact was just right then maybe clean enough internal trans damage to not drive car (broken differential for instance) but not make noise either.
Just tested this, fluid did drop when vehicle on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Tom
traced cable from transmission back to ECU, did not find any safety switch of any kind.

bottom cable is picture is the one that leads to ECU. not sure what it plugs into, on the transmission end, or what it is supposed to do.

not sure what else to check at this point.
I did order the Ford 4F27E ATSG Techtran MANUAL Repair Rebuild Book Transmission Guide.
Hopefully this will guide me.
thanks again for all your support.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
I am not fully aware of '10 model differences but who knows how they've changed them up electronics wise. I'd say the damage there does not translate into trans damage to me, not enough impact 'hit' there.

Both the harnesses there feed into the PCM, the lower one is to the solenoid pack and the upper the trans neutral or gear position switch, it tells PCM what gear trans SHOULD be in so PCM can relate that to the speed info and load it shows. There should be a couple of other outside sensors, the turbine or input speed sensor and output or vehicle speed sensor. Those last two sensors are self generating of power like the crank and cam sensors on the engines, meaning you will not get power there with key on, they generate power when they spin up. The pic looks like standard 4F27E fare to me..............

The trans has been electronic shift since it came out in '00 models...........I'd check all your fuses to make sure the electrical is all powered up. The EPC solenoid needs to be working, it adjusts the line pressure, need it to get pressure to work clutch packs. No 'safety' switch other than fuse I know of but again.................the oil pump is driven by flats on the converter snout, pretty hard to shear those as compared to the crap skinny pump driveshafts they used to use. Those could strip easy and car wouldn't move then at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello guys, coming back to give everyone an update.
so we checked all fuses, al electricial found no issues.
decided to do a pressure test next.
found that the pressure was even across all gears except for reverse. All gears showed had 100psi. no change in any gear except for reverse had about 200 PSI.
This immediately pointed us into taking off the valvecover.
this is what we saw.
and of course after taking the cover off, we did get the burnt smell.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was kinda upsetting and relieving at the same time, seeing this.
I was hoping that it was not internal damage, but then again at least we knew that we had found the problem.

so we started dismantling tranny, and ran into this..

20150305_184050[1].jpg

20150305_184340[1].jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there isnt a single salvageable part in this transmission. It was pretty much ran to the ground.
so purchasing a repair kit only is not gonna work, at this point i have to just replace the transmission. :(

im kinda scared purchasing a used transmission since the quality of internal parts doesnt look all that great, considering my car only has 73 K miles and looks this bad.

unfortunately used transmission is my only option as i dont have $1500 to spend on a new tranny right now.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Trying to drive car way past knowing when to stop did most of that, easily rebuildable if driver would have stopped much sooner. Trans would have been making plenty of noise but someone ignored that while insisting on forcing it to go longer.

The last five minutes will kill you just like with overheated engine or no oil pressure, that last five will cost you $500+ a minute. When it's broke it's broke but people are so desperate they just won't acknowledge that until broke beyond any reasonable price to fix. You ARE your own worst enemy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts