Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I wasn't sure where to put this, but here goes:

Whenever I'm driving around and shift into 4th, the shifter on occassion will pop out of 4th gear. It doesn't do it everytime, but if feels like I have to slam the shifter down to get it to go in all the way. It doesn't grind when I'm going into the gear though, only when it pops out. (<-Obviously) I know the MTX-75 has a history of bad 2nd and 3rd gear syncros, but those are fine on my car. It just started doing it about two weeks ago, and it's quite annoying. My clutch isn't slipping at all, and everything feels fine, even when I'm driving around in 4th, it just likes to pop out for some odd reason. I'm stumped on this one, and would greatly appreciate any information you folks could throw my way.

BTW: My car is an '02 with about 49,000 miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not totally sure if this is viable, but on my '93 pgt (similar Trans) When it started to pop out, it was because the Tranny oil was low and it was chewing up the gear/synchro/bearing... Might want to check your fluid level..

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should check your shift cables for adjustment.If they are not adjusted properly,the selected gear will engage,but not far enough to hold under acceleration or deceleration.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my 2001 2.5RS did it to me, the shift linkage needed adjusted, so dont think its a bad tranny yet. Now if it isnt your linkage or your fluid...u might wanna start calling around for some tranny rebuild pricing : (

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I'll be sure to check the linkage. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
148 Posts
breakaway said:
You should check your shift cables for adjustment.If they are not adjusted properly,the selected gear will engage,but not far enough to hold under acceleration or deceleration.

Word.
My guess is the shifter cables. I had the same problem with reverse. This was right after I put in a new engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts