Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Which transmission is best in the long run, up to 100K miles.

• Automatic transmissions in general.

Votes: 45 38.5%
  • Manual transmissions in general.

Votes: 72 61.5%

• Total voters
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
manuals of course.. Almost all cars in Europe are standards, with Autos being a rare option. only place to have mostly Autos with some cars not even optioned in the stick the the US.. with the Wussimatics, or Lazymatics.... to me with the exception of people needing it due to medical or other issues, all cars should be a STICK
That would be just fine with me![thumb]

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
All data indicates that automatic transmissions, on average are far more maintenance and worry free than manual transmissions.

Newer generation automatics usually last the life of the engine.

However, if an automatic DOES fail outside of warranty it is costly to replace.

Every single car I have purchased for the last fifteen years has been a stick. From a really crappy four speed with a nearly worn out clutch on an old VW Cabriolet to the really smooth six speed shifter that is delightful to row on my 2004 A4.

However, manuals have their own issues, such as replacement of the clutch, master cylinder, etc, (through normal wear and tear) all of which are quite expensive even on lower end cars (a replacement clutch on my A4 would probably run into $1000 territory with labor).

These days, with smooth sequential gearboxes, dual clutch set ups, etc, I am starting to weave back into the automatic transmission camp. They have improved miles from the "slushbox" transmissions of the 80's and 90's which were slow to shift, shifts were rough, etc.

The gap has closed considerably... of course, you can never get as much control with an auto (at least in cars us mortals can afford) as you can get with a manual... however, driving for 90 minutes and stop and go traffic for several days a week with a manual can quickly change your mind about how "worth it" it is to have manual control.
Yeah, as long as you dont own a 00-06 mercury.My sister in laws puked at 90000 miles, and by brother in laws puked at 80000...so we sold the mountaineer at 75000 miles lol!

Otherwise, I would have to vote a manual is more costly, but that could also be the wear I put on the clutches...are you counting replacing the clutch?

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
manual More Costly? If you do all the Labor yourself, then a Manual isnt that pricey. ever price a full service on an auto? well over 150-700$

·
Registered
155 Posts
manuals of course.. Almost all cars in Europe are standards, with Autos being a rare option. only place to have mostly Autos with some cars not even optioned in the stick the the US.. with the Wussimatics, or Lazymatics.... to me with the exception of people needing it due to medical or other issues, all cars should be a STICK
And while we're at it, we should all be using mechanical typewriters, because you don't really get a good 'feel' for the words unless you pound them into paper with your fingers. And how about wood stoves, thermostats are for pansies. Calculators? bah! give me a trusty slide rule any day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive driven manuals all my life and never have had a clutch problem.... They easily last lifetime of car...

manual cars brakes last twice as long as auto cars... Gears are great for braking, only need to touch brakes momentarily to stop....
Manual cars get better mpg's...

I personally see absolutely no advantages of autos....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ive driven manuals all my life and never have had a clutch problem.... They easily last lifetime of car...

manual cars brakes last twice as long as auto cars... Gears are great for braking, only need to touch brakes momentarily to stop....
Manual cars get better mpg's...

I personally see absolutely no advantages of autos....

You obviously don’t commute on Los Angeles freeways & surface streets. If you had to daily drive a manual in gridlock traffic 24/7 where it takes 2hrs to go 15 miles you might have a different opinion. There’s a reason why less than 3% of new car sales are manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have 92,000 miles on my car. My slave cylinder on my manual transmission went out at 85,000 miles leaving me stranded on the side of the road during rush hour. They’re not bulletproof but I would still take a manual over the DCT. I’ve driven both and the DCT rentals that I drove during warranty repairs were absolute garbage.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts