Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove two different focus. both 5spd manual and both shifted amazingly and smooth as butter.

When i picked the one up, i have previously drove it, it seemed a little hard to put in gear and felt really rough.
It seems to not want to be put in 1st,2nd, 5th and reverse. 3rd and 4th are ok but still bad for a new car.

I was driving down my street with the windows down and at above 2k rpm it seemed to make a lot of excessive noise and rattling. I haven't beat on it at all but it seems to have a serious problem.

taking it in to the shop tmrw morning at 8:45

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would ask what were the total miles when you test drove it? and when you picked it up buying it?
Perhaps some idiot tried to test drive it who had no clue how to drive a sticK?
I would be really concerned.
A lot of test drives are with no salesman along. the person could have beat it pretty hard.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would ask what were the total miles when you test drove it? and when you picked it up buying it?
Perhaps some idiot tried to test drive it who had no clue how to drive a sticK?
I would be really concerned.
A lot of test drives are with no salesman along. the person could have beat it pretty hard.
55miles and picked up at 61...

I was thinking someone beat the shit out of it for a mile or two and ground some gears... but we shall see what happens when i bring it in.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Mine (although an automatic) makes some weird noises and rattles a lot too... [dunno]

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track with taking it to the dealer. How many miles do you have on it now?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
over 2,500rpm it really makes a lot of noise...
PratoN, when does it make noise and rattle
Btw, I'm at 7,000 miles.

It makes noise when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd as well as 2nd to first. Usually happens when decelerating quickly – it’s almost crunchy sounding.
The rattle usually only occurs when shifting up from 2nd to 3rd (I think).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Man that sucks. I was going to ask it you were having the gear "lockout" problems some people have, but it sounds like you might have a wacky gearbox or something instead. Hope for the best I guess. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 2,500 miles in and so far so good.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
the MTX75 tranny was in my Contour. it was rebuilt, and the pro guy (did Contour SVT race car trannies in Michigan..) asked if i wanted some shift pin locked in place. Apparently this shift device entering the tranny could accidentally rotate and screw up the tranny shifting.
Tha is all I remember, I did get it added to the rebuild.
Maybe this thing has gone wack in your car?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it in and the mechanic and i went for a test drive...
Apparently they like to drive spiritedly, as i found out.

But, there unsure of the problem. I have 35,700 miles left for it to show any worse symptoms.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Which dealer are you going to for service?

DeLacy? Towne? Basil? Dave Smith?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
EDIT: Moved to Low-Speed Shudder threads since this is actually for the 5 speed manual...

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I don't get any transmission noise. Mine runs butter smooth except when I get occasional gear lock out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i get gear lock out somewhat...
it dosn't like to go in but once it does i can sput it into gear like butter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts