Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2012 Ford Focus SE in May with a three month/3,000 mile warranty. It's now November and I've had no problems. Just last week, I started my car and the engine light was on. When I began driving, I noticed the RPMs were much higher than normal and the acceleration was much more sensitive. I even stopped at a stop light and when I pressed on the gas, the car would not go. I turned the car off and on and then it drove. It did that the next day, but when I turned the car off and on, the check engine light went away. I live in Colorado Springs and drove to Denver (70 miles) this weekend, while I was driving on the highway (I-25) it was fine until I went up a hill, then the 'transmission malfunction, service now' message came on. I still drove the whole way to Denver, which was about 50 miles at that point. I turned the car off and on again, and the message went away. I had my dad drive it, but he found no problems. I drove back to the Springs with no problems. Last night I drove from work to home (10 miles) and the 'transmission malfunction, service now' message came on again, but was not there this morning.

Considering I bought it from a used car dealership and have no warranty, what should I do? What is wrong? Where should I take it? I take many trips between Colorado Springs and Denver (3 this week) so I want to be sure I can drive without worrying that my car will breakdown in the middle of the highway.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think the concept of "Transmission malfunction, service now" is a good sign of stop driving the car because you will get stuck somewhere with a towing bill...

It's probably the TCM which is covered for 10 years.

How many miles you have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the concept of "Transmission malfunction, service now" is a good sign of stop driving the car because you will get stuck somewhere with a towing bill...

It's probably the TCM which is covered for 10 years.

How many miles you have?
I have 130,000 miles. Should I just take it to a Ford dealership?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have 130,000 miles. Should I just take it to a Ford dealership?
If there's no code, they will charge for labour and fix nothing.

You are under 160k miles, if it's the TCM, it should be covered.

I would suggest, next time this happen, drive the car in limp mode to the dealer and do not shut down the car. Show them the actual error on the dash. They will pull the code while the car is running. A picture/video will not be accepted by the dealer.

If it's the TCM, it's a 45 minutes job. If the TCM was never replaced, big chance it is because the first generation is not good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had this problem this morning, 74k miles.

Car kept slipping out of gear and extremely high revs for what it normally does. Got it to the dealership and they are replacing the TCM as we speak.

I felt pretty unsafe driving it to the dealership to be honest, not having it in a gear going through intersections is no joke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts