Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an Oct/2011 built Focus SE DCT (Sport Package) with the 12B37 firmware.

Well, I was going through the middle of a relatively steep road when my car decided to stop, the engine was revving but the transmission didn't respond at all. I got the beeping sound and the "Transmission malfunction, service now" message on the dashboard.

Somehow I managed to brake the car and after a considerable amount of grinding noises, shuttering, and shift hiccups I was able to pull over and turn the engine off.

I turned the thing on, and after driving it for about 10 meters, it started to behave "normally".

Has anybody else experienced this?... I searched but couldn't find anything

I kind of wish it was completely broken so I could get a new/revised clutch or transmission. Honestly, I don't trust this car anymore. [poke]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got this very message this morning and was gonna search for some threads on it.

About 2 minutes into my morning commute I got that message but with seemingly no herk/jerk or any signs that anything was wrong. Still freaked me out enough that I started heading directly to my dealer.

As I was coming to a stop the car did lurch pretty bad (worse than normal...sadly) and then the gauges started going crazy. Got it in the shop and waiting to hear back.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
You guys kept driving? I hope you didn't do more damage that might hurt a warranty claim.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's not news, I'm sure, but this is what the owners manual has to say about the "Transmission Malfunction Service Now" message:

"Displays when the transmission requires service due to a malfunction. Contact your authorized dealer"

The dealer should be able to recover the DTC logged for the event.

Just to clarify, there were no abnormal indications or other warning messages, like the ones for transmission temperature, prior to this event?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wonder if 12B37 is responsible ... I am getting the clutch slippage/shuddering in 1st gear coming from a stop with lurching into 2nd .... This started around 18000 mi after getting 12B37

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Somehow I managed to brake the car and after a considerable amount of grinding noises, shuttering, and shift hiccups I was able to pull over and turn the engine off.

I turned the thing on, and after driving it for about 10 meters, it started to behave "normally".

Yeah I've seen a few other posters say that turning the car off and on again returned the tranny to normal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles do u guys have?
About 15,500Km / 9600 miles

Just to clarify, there were no abnormal indications or other warning messages, like the ones for transmission temperature, prior to this event?
Nope, just the malfunction warning.

Yeah I've seen a few other posters say that turning the car off and on again returned the tranny to normal.
It totally felt like something was broken, but a "restart" brought it back to normal, I'm taking it to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

About 2 minutes into my morning commute I got that message but with seemingly no herk/jerk or any signs that anything was wrong. Still freaked me out enough that I started heading directly to my dealer.

As I was coming to a stop the car did lurch pretty bad (worse than normal...sadly) and then the gauges started going crazy. Got it in the shop and waiting to hear back.
Any news from the shop?[???:)]

·
Registered
29 Posts
You guys kept driving? I hope you didn't do more damage that might hurt a warranty claim.
I wouldn't be as worried about voiding the warranty as i would be about being the cause of an accident. A warning light AFTER the bucking and shuddering,,, lucky you didn't run into someone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok, so, turns out they just needed to re-flash everything again. I had the most recent TSB performed a few months back but they said a drive cycle was never performed.

Anyway, it wasn't lurching to an unsafe degree, and I was convinced I could turn it off and it would go away, and sure enough that is what happened when I got to the dealership. Still, they pulled the code and saw what was up. The dealership gave me a rental so it was not as big an inconvenience as it could have been.

All good now, smooth like it should have been after the last update, but we will see.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...Well, I was going through the middle of a relatively steep road when my car decided to stop, the engine was revving but the transmission didn't respond at all. I got the beeping sound and the "Transmission malfunction, service now" message on the dashboard.

I turned the thing on, and after driving it for about 10 meters, it started to behave "normally"...

...It totally felt like something was broken, but a "restart" brought it back to normal, I'm taking it to the dealer ASAP.
I recommend calling our Customer Relationship Center in Mexico at 800-719-8466 for further assistance. Please send me a PM when you take it to the dealer.

Ok, so, turns out they just needed to re-flash everything again. I had the most recent TSB performed a few months back but they said a drive cycle was never performed.

Anyway, it wasn't lurching to an unsafe degree, and I was convinced I could turn it off and it would go away, and sure enough that is what happened when I got to the dealership. Still, they pulled the code and saw what was up. The dealership gave me a rental so it was not as big an inconvenience as it could have been.

All good now, smooth like it should have been after the last update, but we will see.
This is great news! [:D] When did you pick it up from the dealership? By the way, remember The Works Fuel Saver Package for your routine service needs: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ServiceCouponsPage.

I wouldn't be as worried about voiding the warranty as i would be about being the cause of an accident. A warning light AFTER the bucking and shuddering,,, lucky you didn't run into someone.
It's not news, I'm sure, but this is what the owners manual has to say about the "Transmission Malfunction Service Now" message:

"Displays when the transmission requires service due to a malfunction. Contact your authorized dealer"...
Good points! [thumb] If this message pops up in the instrument cluster, contact the dealer immediately. Check out page 34 of the Owner Guide, 5th Printing for this info: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage.

I am getting the clutch slippage/shuddering in 1st gear coming from a stop with lurching into 2nd .... This started around 18000 mi after getting 12B37
I responded to this in another thread. Please PM me your VIN and I'll document this for our engineering contact.

Take care,

Thomas

·
Registered
366 Posts
I own an Oct/2011 built Focus SE DCT (Sport Package) with the 12B37 firmware.

Well, I was going through the middle of a relatively steep road when my car decided to stop, the engine was revving but the transmission didn't respond at all. I got the beeping sound and the "Transmission malfunction, service now" message on the dashboard.

I kind of wish it was completely broken so I could get a new/revised clutch or transmission. Honestly, I don't trust this car anymore. [poke]

I had the exact same thing with my SEL back in March 2012. It all started 2 blocks away from home, right after I made a quick stop at the ATM going to work.
Started the car from my home, 2 minutes later got to the ATM, stopped the car. Did my thing at the ATM, got back in the car, started the engine and 20 feet after, boom, Tranny error message with the exact tranny behavior you had with yours. The only difference is that my FF died right smack in a very busy intersection in the morning commuting trafic. Lucky me, no one smashed into me and I was able to ''remove'' myself from harm's way.

Limped back home shifting from neutral to ''D'' and got into my wife's Tucson. The next day when I brought the FF to the shop, the error message did not displayed and the car behaved just fine. Once at the shop, the Dealer flashed the tranny software. That was before 12B37, by the way. I since got 12B37 done in late may or early June and did not see this error again. My tranny is still quirky and behaves in an bizzar way, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Interesting. Conventional wisdom is that a drive cycle was not required after 12b37 (I assume your most-recent TSB). So is your service department blowing smoke or have the rest of us had 12b37 applied improperly?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Interesting. Conventional wisdom is that a drive cycle was not required after 12b37 (I assume your most-recent TSB). So is your service department blowing smoke or have the rest of us had 12b37 applied improperly?
The TSB said it wasn't required, however if the adaptive learning tables were erased when they performed the update, either inadvertently or on purpose, either through the dealer's IDS tool, or by disconnecting the battery for a sufficient period of time the drive cycle needs to be performed to establish a base line for shifting performance before it can start learning again afaik. It seems as though people that have had the update performed are having very different results so its hard to tell if its the dealers mucking it up, the subtle differences in wear rates of the hard ware (which I'd hope wasn't the case), or the software adapting to the driver in different ways for each user.

Some were reporting a much higher minimum shift point into 6th gear (over 40 mph vs just 35-36 on light throttle), others reported that it shifted at the same exact point as before. Some whose cars were built with 12b37's software, those built after 3/28/12 were supposed to have the latest software, are also reporting the original shift points and no issues, etc, the list goes on.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The drive cycle is not necessary for any TCM reflash. The TCM can fully "learn" (and is always "learning") clutch engagement without it.

If it is not done after the TCM has been fully erased, it may take anywhere from several minutes to several days for the clutches to engage correctly. The initial drivability issues would probably not be acceptable for most owners.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Transmission Malfunction appeared on the dash tonight. Going to dealer tomorrow. Ok to drive or does it need towed?
How'd the dealer visit go today, Rpiper66?

Please keep me updated, along with your mileage, and I'll check into some options.

Meagan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts