Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2007, brought it home and it was leaking (what I thought was oil) transmission fluid. The previous owner said he replaced the clutch 3 months ago, with a receipt to prove it.

I was told that typically it's a gasket that needs to be replaced and they wouldn't know until they dropped it but I did notice that when I punched the gas it accelerated in the RPM's and took a second for the transmission to catch it.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll find out, took it to a mechanic to source the leak.

Not worth anything, but casually looking underneath it was dripping from the oil pan. However, I realize it was probably coming from higher up.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's ok. That's his job as a mod. Ok seems you are leaking from input seal. Might just me over full. But the trans fluid is getting on the clutch and making it slip. Now just as. Thought it could be the rear main seal as well. Double check to make sure it's not oil. Makes more sense being oil.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As NotReal mentioned, don't worry about "newbiness", Mods move threads regularly to help get them to what we think might be the best place for answers & future reference.

Clutch slave cyl. bolts to the trans, and seals the shaft there as well as being the slave cyl./throwout bearing combination.

NotReal covered it well, a leak from either trans or engine into the bellhousing can manage to get oil on the clutch causing slippage, so the final answer won't be known for sure 'till it comes apart.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
Yep, once slipping that clutch will not be coming back, new clutch time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You might just check and see if you can buy the pressure plate only. The oil destroys the plate material but it won't hurt the flywheel or the clutch assembly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The pressure plate is made of steel just like the flywheel unless its aftermarket. I would not clean a clutch plate after going through all the trouble to take it apart, might as well replace the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I think he meant friction plate, prob. not avail separate anyways these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pressure plate is made of steel just like the flywheel unless its aftermarket. I would not clean a clutch plate after going through all the trouble to take it apart, might as well replace the whole thing.
Unfortunately the previous owner had replaced the clutch (with what the invoice says is a "clutch kit") in July, so I'm hoping not to change it actually.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It would be a waste of time to take the transmission out repair the leak and chance using the same clutch that was soaked in oil. Just my opinion. If someone wanted me to do the job I would make them get a new clutch or go somewhere else. Oil ruins the clutch plate and its highly likely that it would still slip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be a waste of time to take the transmission out repair the leak and chance using the same clutch that was soaked in oil. Just my opinion. If someone wanted me to do the job I would make them get a new clutch or go somewhere else. Oil ruins the clutch plate and its highly likely that it would still slip.
Thanks for the heads-up. Would it be possible to use the existing components, but maybe a different clutch plate?

The price for just the clutch plate is $120, where-as a clutch kit looks to be $200 more than that.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...2&search=true&year=2007&make=Ford&model=Focus

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone. Ended up being the input seal. Didn't have to replace the clutch. $500 later, she should be good to go.

The previous owners mechanics who put the clutch on back in July got RTV on it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't ever replace just the disc on an old clutch, even if it does not chatter you won't get near the service life since the pressure plate is already worn down some. But, if the clutch is a month old and the friction disk is oil soaked, it's alright to replace just the disk.

It may be intentional but the pressure plates I've see in old clutches seem to all be riveted together, and it appears that the rivets stick out more on the pressure plate side than the flywheel side. So when the clutch starts slipping by then the rivets have started gouging the pressure plate.

Sometimes you get clutch chatter when you don't resurface the flywheel. Generally I don't resurface - it's a gamble but usually one that I win. Resurfacing costs money and the flywheel lasts longer if you don't do it. And since I will replace the clutch the moment it start slipping, rather than try driving it for another 6 months to get the last dregs of life out of it, the flywheel generally isn't grooved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts