Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALl,

When i am driving my 2000 ford focus LX, i have no tranny issue when driving in the city or on most highways.

When i am traveling at a speed of 65+ mph and i am going up a hill or want to pass someone, when i hit the gas, the transmission should downship to give me power to pass someone.

It is like the tranny doesnt downshift or doesnt know to downshift to give me a lower gear to give me the power to go. It actually will bog down the engine and there will be a slight intermittent jerking motion until i lift off the gas pedal.

If i do a gradual push of the gas pedal, the tranny will not down shift, but it will slowly accelerate.

I did just replace the A and B solenoids and everything else seems to be fine.

I used the Ford Fluid (Mercon V) and did a filter replacement when i changed out the A and B solenoids. Everything has ran fine and i have had 0 issues until i noticed this on a previous 3 hour trip from Scranton, Pa to Baltimore, Md.

Really noticed it going up and down the hills the most. Have never noticed it before. Any suggestions?

I am hoping it might be another one of the solenoids going that i didnt replace. Hopefully nothing mechanically wrong. There was no grinding and no metal filings on the magnet in the tray. Car has 133K miles on it with original transmission.

If you need anything else, let me know! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

(Should be an SPI engine, originally posted there)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Quick thoughts and guesses:

Is trans fluid level set correctly?

Last time fuel filter was replaced?

TPS has a tiny bad spot at or close to WOT? Maybe do a sweep test of the TPS with a multimeter. Ohms test is ok but I would do a voltage check of TPS output. Use back-probe method, using sewing needles into the TPS connector or stab a hole in the wire/s. Can be done with key On & engine Off. If you need TPS wire colors or TPS connector pin numbers, come back and ask for em'.

You sure it only does this at that speed?

You said "when i hit the gas", does this mean you punched it all the way to the floor? -aka WOT. Does this happen only at WOT & only when at 65+ mph?

Do you ever drive with O/D Off? -> Nice sporty response at 45-55 mph (because your stuck in 3rd gear). Might help you doing some O/D Off driving -and- punching the gas pedal to see how car (TPS?) responds at these speeds.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
You should also have downshift at lower speeds and lower gears, do you have that? We're assuming you have the full four gears forward (3+OD). You do correct? Does speedometer work? That is needed for kickdown too. Does the converter clutch come loose with slight throttle? It happens before the kickdown does. Light throttle lets motor come up 200-300 rpm then getting into it deeper makes kickdown increase of maybe close to 1000 rpm. Only other solenoid I see with effect there is C but if you got the other three gears then C is not a problem.

The OD switch on shifter needs to pop trans in and out of OD, does it? You have a manual activated kickdown right there.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
How do you figure that? You say clearly in OP that the problem was AFTER the solenoids were changed. You again verify that by asking for more suggestions for a fix after you changed the solenoids. I actually see like 4 verifications from you that solenoids A-B did not fix it.

Or the english language no longer means what it used to....................

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
10 mo. later a bit more of an update would help, did it start acting normally again soon after the post?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts