Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have joined this forum because I have a strange issue with my 2006 Focus automatic transmission. It's a 2 litre petrol GHIA model, every 2-3 weeks the gears will be clunky in gears 1-2 and a message comes up on the dash saying ''transmission malfunction'' followed by the engine management light coming on. The message is only present for a minute or 2 and the engine management light only stays on for a day or two before going off and the gearbox behaving normally again for 2-3 weeks. This has repeated every 2-3 weeks for a few months now. I have taken it to a garage and they have plugged it in but no faults came up as the engine management is not consistently on. It's a strange one but I thought I'd see if any of you guys could help with this in any way? Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
963 Posts
What color is the fluid? How many miles or kilometers does the car have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What color is the fluid? How many miles or kilometers does the car have?
The fluid is darkish red which I have been told is fine, the level of the fluid is also fine. It did run low a while ago but was topped up soon after. There are no leaks either, the car is on 84,000 miles. thanks for your reply :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would start by replacing the filter. Pan comes off, you lose about 3 quarts. Install new filter. Pan goes back on. Add 2 quarts of fluid. Start it up. Move gear selector through all the gears and back to park. Check fluid and add as necessary to full. Dark red fluid is no good. Find another mechanic of you can't do the work yourself.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Another possibility since the transmission is electronically controlled. You may have a bad alternator and or weak grounds. Check the voltage. I would have the grounds cleaned at the fender. It may also help to disconnect and clean all the electrical connectors to the transmission.

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
'Darkish' red fluid is indeed bad. It should be red to slightly orange, once it leans toward brownish then it is burned and needs replacing. Put it on a paper towel to check, ALL fluid looks darkish red when you look at it in an amount or a stream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts