Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought another Focus! This one is a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S 2.0L Automatic.

It was bought for a very low dollar amount originally as a parts car, but it is a solid little car with relatively few issues. I was thinking I might try and fix it and give to our youngest child to use? It has been sitting in a field for about a year. The story goes - they were driving and the car stalled and they were never able to get it to go in to drive again, to get them out of the middle of the highway a couple guys offered to pull them with a chain! they connected it to the lower radiator support and yanked it, so it bent the support, the radiator a little, the fan assembly fell down to the ground, it tore the bumper & set off the airbag. They had it towed to a shop who said they needed a new transmission but they were unable to afford it so they had it towed home where it sat until I bought it.

The issue: After it is started(it runs great, very smooth), and you move the shifter in to reverse or drive, 1 or 2nd nothing happens. It is like the car is still in neutral. I took the console out to check if the linkage is connected to the shifter after watching a few videos and it is connected and moving with the shifter. I checked the oil and transmission fluid before starting car for the first time and both registered on the stick, so the trans at least has fluid in it. Unfortunately since it has sat for a while no codes are coming up on the scanner.

·
FF Affiliate
30,513 Posts
Pan off and volt meter , if you do a search there should be a stsp by step how to test the valve body solenoids on the net

Tom

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
You can't check ATX fluid level with engine stopped as post seems to say. It would be whoppingly too high, the level drops way down when running since all passages fill up. Meaning if you got what appeared to be correct level when not running you are likely out of fluid while running. That will make car not move.

'...and transmission fluid before starting car...'

That won't cut it at all. The ATX will slip to not lock up way before the fluid goes off the stick, it even messes up as little as 3/16" low.

Only an effing idiot would pull a Focus by the radiator lower crossmember, it is tinfoil. You have to go to the subframe plate further back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't check ATX fluid level with engine stopped as post seems to say. It would be whoppingly too high, the level drops way down when running since all passages fill up. Meaning if you got what appeared to be correct level when not running you are likely out of fluid while running. That will make car not move.

'...and transmission fluid before starting car...'

That won't cut it at all. The ATX will slip to not lock up way before the fluid goes off the stick, it even messes up as little as 3/16" low.

Only an effing idiot would pull a Focus by the radiator lower crossmember, it is tinfoil. You have to go to the subframe plate further back.
I have checked it again while the car is warmed up and running and it is 1/16" bellow max. I agree, they said they were a couple of "rednecks" their words not mine who offered to pull them out of the road. I have a post of the damage it did HERE
It has been very cold and wet/sleet/snow last few days so I haven't been able to do any more troubleshooting. Tomorrow I might put it on ramps and pull the trans pan and see if there is any obvious damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts