Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this message on my way to work this morning, while I was stuck in the morning traffic suddenly I got an error message saying "transmission hot, wait 5 mins." And when I accelerate slowly it said "transmission overheating, stop car for safety".

I was surprised since its relatively a new car, what could be the cause of this? And has anyone seen this message before?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
With your location, the engine & trans. type would help confirm a guess.

Current automatic transmissions in the Focus aren't happy "creeping" in traffic, tends to heat them up too much from clutch slippage. Yours might not be the same version we have here depending on engine type, but all the ones used in current models (automatics) can exhibit this problem.

Waiting to move until the trans can fully engage a gear each time dramatically reduces heat buildup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 1.6 L[:)]Duratec Ti VCT with the automatic DCT. So is this a problem i should worry about whenever I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm not positive of your DCT type, may well be the same as used on the 2.0 cars here. I'm sure the ones used for the Diesels are different, but all can exhibit the same warning when "creeping" too much.

IIRC full clutch engagement is possible as low as 5-7 MPH (rough conversion that's 8-11 kph). Driving slower requires repeated clutch engagement/disengagement or slipping, so heat builds quickly.

Waiting for traffic to move enough that you can use a higher speed once you move will greatly reduce the chance of overheating. Creeping a few feet at a time in traffic is likely to cause the overheating warning.

This is similar to using a manual transmission in traffic, your automatic is essentially an automated manual and reacts similarly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not positive of your DCT type, may well be the same as used on the 2.0 cars here. I'm sure the ones used for the Diesels are different, but all can exhibit the same warning when "creeping" too much.

IIRC full clutch engagement is possible as low as 5-7 MPH (rough conversion that's 8-11 kph). Driving slower requires repeated clutch engagement/disengagement or slipping, so heat builds quickly.

Waiting for traffic to move enough that you can use a higher speed once you move will greatly reduce the chance of overheating. Creeping a few feet at a time in traffic is likely to cause the overheating warning.

This is similar to using a manual transmission in traffic, your automatic is essentially an automated manual and reacts similarly.
Very informative, thanks a lot.. Will keep that in mind, seems to me that because of the focus being an "automated manual car" causes some unnecessary and avoidable problems. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some enjoy the sporty feeling of full engagement in every gear.

The reason for using this type (becoming more common) is fuel economy alone. That's the prime reason for ALL the new engines/transmissions entering the market.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. The focus is an excellent car in my opinion, I love it. It's just the transmission issues that bothers.

The pros overweight the cons though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got this message on my way to work this morning, while I was stuck in the morning traffic suddenly I got an error message saying "transmission hot, wait 5 mins." And when I accelerate slowly it said "transmission overheating, stop car for safety".

I was surprised since its relatively a new car, what could be the cause of this? And has anyone seen this message before?
I got the same message yesterday on my way home from work which was strange this is also a relatively new car and I am wondering what’s up

·
Registered
350 Posts
I got the same message yesterday on my way home from work which was strange this is also a relatively new car and I am wondering what’s up
What's up is that the DPS6 is a dumpster fire of a transmission; it's hot because you're driving it like an automatic (you know, because Ford sold it as such) and the software is too stupid and/or indecisive not to ride the clutch all the time (though in its defense, it was programmed to be stupid and indecisive). Also, poor design and materials make it especially prone to and damaged by excessive heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts