Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a very important question. i have a 2000 zx3 5 speed and i need a new tranny. all the places im calling about transmissions are asking me for the identification code because apparently there are 3 different types of manual transmission for my car. how do i know which one it is or does it even matter? im going to be dumping several goodies in the tranny while it is out and when i was ordering all of those goodies they were very nonspecific about what type of tranny they were for. all just said mtx-75. im inclined to believe that as long as it comes out of a focus with the zetec engine it will be fine but were there any differences in the early 2000 model year maby?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
there are 3 trannys, the IB5 which is used for the spi, the mtx-75 which is for the zetec, and the getrag for the svt. if you have a zetec, than any mtx-75 from a focus will work.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 3 id codes are XS4R-WC, YS4R-WA, and YS4R-NA

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hate to bump this but I need the same info.
I dont know where the serial number is on the trans. The gf's Diff just went and I need to know where the serial plate is. I looked and could not see it.

It's a 2000 zx3
Her Vin number is: (maybe it can help know what trans see needs.)
3FAFP3131YR244404

Thanks
Chris

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
The difference on the MTX-75 is the shift cable linkage on top of the tranny. You can swap yours onto any focus MTX-75 from what I understand. I think I had to do that with my tranny when I replaced it with a used one. It's just the part the shift cable connect too. Thats why we have different short throw shifters for different model years is for this very reason.

Though i also heard you need a early year tranny for the LSD or 4.06 ring gear but I am not for certain on this. So hopefully someone will chime in and correct anything I missed or said wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would give them the VIN and that will tell them anything they would need to know... ford is bad about changing small shit in there cars year to year. (for example) tarus. made 7-16-99 and one made 7-17-99 head bolts are half inch different. but like he said... if its from a zetec than it should bolt up

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as long as it is a mtx-75 transmission you dont need to worry. it will go in. also if you have plans for putting a 4.06 final drive gear set in the new/used tranny you should make sure it was made after 2000. the 2000 year model mtx-75 uses a shorter pinion IIRC which makes the final drive gear set you can get from different places unusable. if you have a 2000 model tranny and need a 4.06 for it you can pull one from cougar transmissions i believe. those are the only things you need to worry about. so long as the tranny you pull came out of a focus between the years of 2000 and 2004 and it has the ZETEC engine (not spi, or duratec) you are good to go. as a matter of fact you can use the getrag 6 speed with little to no modification. thats what ive read anyway as ive not attempted to tackle that particular project myself just yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alright thanks guys. It's just the local junkyard I called told me they couldnt give me a price till I got the number off the trans.. I'll go elsewhere.

The car is a 2000, are the 2000 trans known to have issues? And thats why they changed it in 2001+ ?

She just needs a stock trans, its her DD, and if the 2000's are known to have issues I'll find a newer one.

Are the diffs interchangable between 2000-04?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the torsen i put into my 00 tranny works just fine. the only difference internally between the 2000 and newer mtx-75s was the final drive pinion gear if im not mistaken. there is nothing wrong with the 00 tranny. its just one of those things ford decided to change for no reason. the only reason you would need to worry about specifically getting a newer year model tranny would be if you planned on putting in a final drive or if you want one with the lowest mileage possible. you can still get final drives for the 00 transmission but it takes considerably more leg work to track them down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How do I dentify the 4.06 transmission in a car?? What year make model did they come in??

FRED

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i think contour MTX's use a different ring/pinion and one was a 4.06. i don't know if the focus ever came w/ it. but i know the contour did

·
Registered
66 Posts
thank you for the much needed help, what about the cougar??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts