Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i give up. I can't find a good link or archive to a total replacement thread on the transmission. If any one has a link i would LOVE to have it. Sorry i hate it when people start threads to gain 411 on stuff that's in the archives, but man, i swear i looked for like an hour!
Any way, just got the car back from the "official" shop, they say the transmission is totally shot, and will need to be replaced. If that is what i end up doing, i will also replace force plate, and clutch, and wanting to upgrade.
Can anyone tell me the model of the transmission in this thing? Been looking for that too, and all i get is, "its a getrag." That doesn't cut it.
I am not going to pay a man thousands of dollars to do this, i am cheap, and pissed as hell that ford has forced the shops to charge what they claim they have to to get this done. I have 0 experience with front end cars, and have NEVER done any work on a small engine car before, but i have built rock crawlers, raced and worked on snowmobiles, and have done all the modifications to my Ram, so i can't imagine this will be all that hard. I have been reading through this forum for a couple of years now, and i think between some good folk on here with good tech talk and what not i can get this thing fixed on my own.
BTW I'm in N. PDX if any one is interested in getting together and chew the fat over this car with me.
There is only 30k on this car, and i am not willing to throw it away over this. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks
Zak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do i have bad breath or somthin?

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I think the shop is yanking your chane an just want you to pay for a full tranny. I would get a couple of quotes befor you deside what your going to do. b/c you just might just have a bad clutch. usally the clutch goes out first in the MTX-75.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
^^ Not an MTX, he has an SVT.

I don't know much about the Getrag, but you should be able to pick up a salvaged one from somewhere if you think it's all gone to crap. What were the symptoms before you took it to the shop?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ Not an MTX, he has an SVT.

I don't know much about the Getrag, but you should be able to pick up a salvaged one from somewhere if you think it's all gone to crap. What were the symptoms before you took it to the shop?
Yeah, so Getrag, that's all i get.. Am i that green? It's not like a ... Getrag, E8 or something? That is just an example.
OK, so 1500 miles ago, it got stuck on a piece of ice, and i spun the tires pretty hard, shifted while in a spin, and went from 2nd to third. It then did not want to come out of thrd, i forced it out, and then it would not go into any gear except thrd. After getting it of the ice, and back on dry ground i took it to a parking lot where i could get it up to speed in third, did that, and without any adjusting or wrench turning, it fell out of third at around 5k rpm, and walla! All gears worked again.
About 500 miles ago, we notice that there was a wet spot under the car. Checked it out and it was with out a doubt it was not engine oil. Did some looking around, and found that the casing on the trans xle was leaking.
The day that it went out i was putting around the hills in S. Olympia SP, and it was in 4th, rolling 55mph, and then felt drag. The drag was smooth, and hard to notice, but very apparent. Took me down to 35mph quick. When i went to take it out of gear to catch the trans axle up with the engine, i then realized it was not the motor slowing me down it was the lack of drive gear.
I tried to put it into any gear and no.
This is where it gets odd. When i came to a stop the engine was off. I push in on the clutch, check the gear pattern which i could get into with the peddle in, and then turn on the car. With the pedal in, i put it into 1st, and let out on the clutch. It then acts like its in 5th gear and with the e brake on.
Then i put the stick in neutral, and went to let out on the pedal with the motor on, and it did the same thing in neutral that it did in gear. In short, the motor will not run unless you have the pedal in on the clutch.
Fluids are full, where full, and from what i can tell never where a reason for this. There was another thing that happened after the ice incident. The speedometer and the millage counter stopped working, but not both at the same time, first the speedometer stopped, and then the millage counter would work for a bit, then go, and now gone..
So yeah, that's it, and yes hind site is 20/20. My life WAS not conducive to being a responsible auto owner. Now it is. And that's what i have to work with now.[bigcry]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no kidin? i thought for sure i would get more conversation on this than i have. Has everyone just lost intrest in the focus or what?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had a 98 ZX2 that this kinda happened to i was going around a corner in 2nd and sped up and shifted to third and it just grinded and so i shifted to fourth and it kept going so then i go to stop and it wouldn't downshift and wouldn't upshift i was stuck in fourth. Luckily i was only a mile from home and limped it home in 4th....Very hard on the clutch. It ended up when i ground 3rd the gear went to pieces and it made the shifter stick in fourth i could still move the shifter around into all the gears it just wouldn't actually shift. I ended up having to get it rebuilt to the tune of $1800 with a new clutch that i toasted. This was also only a month after i got the car. So you might have to get a new tranny it sounds like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i think its just lack of knoledge of the getrag, did u check all ur linkeges?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think its just lack of knoledge of the getrag, did u check all ur linkeges?
So, yeah, im thinking i would love to check out anything i may be able too. But.. There is the small impeding issue of not being able to find anything as far as tech link's go. Can you point me in the right direction by chance?
Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, still looking for answers. So yeah, i guess this is "technically" a bump, but i am really desperate for tech suport. Im not sure there will be someone out there that knows what im dealing with, and knows what to do. I will keep trying!
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts