Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19,376 Posts
After one time to check initial trans run-in I have pretty much gone to not changing filters every time as they simply do not clog up. A drain plug in pan then makes it the work of five minutes to drain fluid but only the partial amount not all of it. It seems to be enough, the ATX on 3 cars now done like that and no trouble from them at all, one is at 200K miles. The other two at 150K. Maybe drive car a week and change fluid again to get a higher percentage of new and save the drained fluid there for the chainsaw, it makes great bar oil. And even more money made.

After changing filters on ATX on cars for like years at the garage you come to the conclusion they really don't need it unless something is going wrong in the trans. The steel screened ones are even easily cleaned to go right back on car, I've done that as well. Fuzz type filters I'll change based on the amount of grey grime there, but if careful you can even clean them, I've done it. You certainly don't need to do it every time. Maybe every other if you will. Had the idea forever but the CD4E in a Contour and having to yank trans to change that filter convinced me to start doing it.

· Registered
19,376 Posts
Exactly.

I have virtually never seen a clogged ATX filter except when the trans was coming apart or destroyed to put tons of loose crap in there.

You CANNOT clog a filter with normal running, any clog there should be an instant trans close up look and maybe even tear down as things are NOT going right there. And may not clog even then if the trans magnet is killer. The CD4E I have tore up good by shredding like 6 drive shells, the filter was almost primo but the magnet was a lump like 2 inches across. Actual magnet size like 3/4", the rest was frag material. One of the shells was dimensionally still accurate so I reused it just as a joke to myself, it looks like a bomb went off inside it. That was '07, ATX still runs fine even now. Any one else who tears that sucker down is going to get a shock LOL.

It's the conventional wisdom (often wrong as hell) and the ATX parts makers who tell you you have to change that filter every time and most of you fall for it rather than believing your own eyes and thinking.

· Registered
19,376 Posts
I've got one in an ATX pan right now. Hard to believe how hard those magnets can pull. I pulled some out of some bad drives in a server someone tossed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.