Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2000 Focus 2.0 liter DOHC 16v.

Today I went to the Ford dealer and asked them to look up what transmission fluid I use, by the way, I have a manual. They gave me Ford Motorcraft Mercon V (also meets Mercon III, approved for H specification) Automatic Transmission Fluid. My question is, is this correct? I asked them over and over if they were sure this was the correct transmission fluid, they kept saying yes.

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did that and even showed the people at Ford that, and they said that was the correct type? Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You are saying that they gave you something different than what your Owner's Manual says? What does your owners manual say?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My owners manual says use XT-M5-QS. They gace me like Q5-M11 (or something, at work, dont have the bottle here). They assured me that was correct though.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It sounds like they believe you have an automatic transmisson. If you have a manual transmission you do not use the Mercon V fluid (although the use of automatic transmission fluid in manual transmissions is not unheard of).

You are sure they know you are talking about a manual transmission?

P.S. Are you sure your owners manual says that? The manual I have for your year Focus says the MTX75 takes Mercon ATF.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The MTX-75 calls for Mercon ATF. You can run other fluids as well. I'm running GM Syncromesh in mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mercon ATF= Mercon automatic tranny fluid?

I'm pretty sure aobut what it says, but I'll go look at lunch again to be positive.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
This is what i see for the transmissions for 2000:

Automatic Transaxle... Mercon V XT-5-QM

Manual Transaxle Fluid - IB5... Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS

Manual Transaxle Fluid - MTX75... Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX

Your manual says something different?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the difference bewteen the transmission and the transaxle? Thought a transaxle was just a transmission that was housed with the rear end, etc?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"What's the difference bewteen the transmission and the transaxle?"

Nothing for the purpose of this discussion... you are essentially correct in your description of a transaxle. It was a typo on my part, manually transcribing what the owners manual said. I have corrected the original post.

Does your manual say something different that what I posted above?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Ford changed over to Synthetic Manual transmission fluid(XT-M5-QS) on the MTX-75 on 2003 and newer if I remember. 2000-2002 calls out Mercon (XT-2-QDX)fluid in the manual/MTX-75 tranny if IIRC.
My 2003 came with Synthetic and the gearing always felt notchy and sluggish.

So, when I changed my tranny fluid, I used synthetic Mercon tranny fluid and the shifts felt smoother afterwards.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My manual says this:

Automatic transaxle fluid - Mercon V - XT-5-QM
Manual Transaxle Fluid - IB5 - Synthetic manual tranny fluid - XT-M5-QS
Manual transaxle Fluid- MTX-75 - Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid - XT-2-QDX

So IB5 and MTX-75 are different transmissions correct? How do I tell which one I have?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank You Very much!

So why does the MTX-75 require auto tranny fluid (very thin),

While the IB5 uses Manual Tranny fluid (Very thick)?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Egz said:
The MTX-75 calls for Mercon ATF. You can run other fluids as well. I'm running GM Syncromesh in mine.
I was considering this as well. It worked wonders in my old dsm. How does it fair out in the focus?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i drive a 2003 ford focus se 2.0l spi sohc manual five speed my owners manual say i need motorcraft full sythetic manual transmission fluid but i cant find it what can i use in exchange of it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts