Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon! 2002 Focus ZX5. Transmission started flaring. Changed transmission fluid (not flush) and filter. Still flaring/worse flaring afterwards. It doesn't flare at all in D1 or D2. Before the fluid change, it seemed to only flare while at the border of D3/OD. Now, however, any time it is in D3 or OD, it can flare. It doesn't do it while shifting. It will pop out of gear while driving at steady speeds, not necessarily accelerating or forcing a downshift. During the fluid change, I pulled all solenoids and cleaned them. Suggestions/ideas? I couldn't find a thread with exactly this problem, but feel free to point me to one if it already exists. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
If doing it in the middle of known 3rd gear the direct clutch is slipping, they do it once the trans end cover wears enough the direct clutch circuit that runs through the interface of that cover then begins to leak. A known problem at higher mileages. If that wear is present even new solenoids won't help. Direct clutch is needed in 3 and 4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a bit more information, in case it is relevant: D1 and D2 still works without a problem. If it shifts into D3, it will engage for approximately 3 seconds (you can set your watch by it) and will then flare while under "load" until you lift your foot from the accelerator, then it will re-engage. If it makes it into OD, works without a problem. However, after a bit, it will shift back into D3 and not shift back into OD (no lights). Just cleared the codes last night from the pre-transmission fluid change. Had both A and B solenoid codes.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
960 Posts
Amc49 gave you the correct response. It is like you didn't even read his post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. It's like I did read his post but wanted to add more information. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
960 Posts
Ok. You're welcome Keep us posted after you repair to help the next guy.

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
You can get solenoid codes when the pressure gets out of the normal range due to a leak, the PCM then records pressure errors to solenoids as they will then be out of range and that is the only way it can pick up errors other than the speed sensors sending slip errors. 4th gear doesn't flare as the torque is too low and car speed too high, but it's slipping too, the kicking out is evidence of that, the PCM is detecting slight slip and shuts OD off.

ALL solenoids are off in 3rd gear for what it's worth. Why the default emergency gear is 3rd when trans is in limp mode, it needs no solenoids to work but of course the direct clutch must lock up solid.

Trans slips worse after fluid change because of microscopic metal particles that were in the old fluid that helped clutch lock up when it tried to slip. New fluid removes most of that unintentional friction component.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you're talking about a leak in the trans end cover and pressure getting out of normal range due to a leak, you're talking about a leak that can be seen under the car, correct? That sounds like a stupid question, but I want to verify that you aren't talking about a leak from one component to another.

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
It is an internal leak inside trans, the hub of the cover has seal rings on it and they wear rapidly to leak down pressure. The issue can show in either reverse or direct clutch as they are the circuits that run in the inner hub. Nothing shows on outside of trans.

There are a thousand ways ATX can leak and most are inside where you never see them, the fluid level stays fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts