Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission failure, any tips?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 focus 2.0 zetec with the 4speed auto and 300,500km. I was driving my focus a few days ago, and the transmission just gave up in the middle of traffic. I had almost came to a stop at a light when it changed to green, I was going about 10-20 km/h and pushed down on the gas to accelerate. The car didnt accelerate and it sounded pretty bad. There was a whining noise when I pushed on the gas and it wouldnt accelerate at all. Reverse, drive, 1, 2 stopped doing anything, they all act like neutral and the car can roll any way in any of the gears. It still goes into park and holds the car still, nd neutral. No engine lights or anything and the car was shifting perfect before. Never had any issue with the transmission. The transmission fluid was still a good colour and not burnt. I tried to put it in reverse at one point and accelerate and it seemed like the car was just barely trying to move. Now it doesnt even try. Make matters worse I was 3 hours from home on new years eve day so had to get it towed to a relatives house and get someone to come grab me from where I was. Other than electrical stuff ive never had any major issues with the car. But I can put it in reverse or drive and floor it with nothing happening. I just got an exhaust done the other day and have been shifting manually through 1,2,d alot so maybe that contributed to the issue? I can still hear a faint buzzing like its trying to shift into gear when I move the lever. Any ideas on whats wrong with the transmission?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.