Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm about to do the clutch on my 03 Dura, and have run into an odd preliminary snag. In my manual and online everywhere, it says that the MTX-75 transmission has a drain plug in the bottom, I have looked... looked... and looked again and cannot seem to locate one on my 5spd- mind you, I have a fairly dark garage.

Just as a note, I'm a decently experienced mechanic different types of machine, but this stumps me. From what I've read online if it's a manual Duratec, then it's an MTX-75, but the code in my door only verifies 5 speed, not the model number. Can I get a verification on this before I order my clutch kit, or has there ever been a different 5spd mated to this engine?

Can't seem to locate a tag on the trans body either. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The drain plug faces the passenger side of the car towards the rear of the transmission housing. It takes a size 8 hex bolt to fasten/unfasten. Be sure to get the hex socket deeply set into the plug otherwise you're likely to strip it (ask me how I know)!!

The drain plug doesn't face downward, towards the ground. Rather, it faces the passenger side of the car. The drain plug is between the rear motor mount (I think Ford calls it the torque strut mount) and the transmission fill plug. The transmission fill plug faces the front of the car and is on the portion of the transmission casing closest to the radiator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok awesome, I'll get under there again. Located the fill plug and pumped out the gear oil but i don't think i looked for the drain right where you're describing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts