Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I posted that the AT transmission in my 03 ZX3 was making a loud clunk noise when selecting D. Both pbfoot and amc49 advised that the transmission mounts were bad.

Well, they both were dead right. The upper mount was OK but the lower was completely shot.

Much has been said about the difficulty of removing the lower mount but I can offer a hint to make the job easy - especially if you’re also going to replace the upper trans mount too.

The problem is that after removing its two mounting bolts, the lower mount remains trapped between a front U shaped bracket and a pocket on its rear. The trick is to get to the four nuts holding the top mount down and back them up to the top of their long studs. Then you can put your jack under the transmission and raise it enough to slide the bottom mount out from under its front U bracket.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Much has been said about the difficulty of removing the lower mount but I can offer a hint to make the job easy - especially if you’re also going to replace the upper trans mount too.

The problem is that after removing its two mounting bolts, the lower mount remains trapped between a front U shaped bracket and a pocket on its rear. The trick is to get to the four nuts holding the top mount down and back them up to the top of their long studs. Then you can put your jack under the transmission and raise it enough to slide the bottom mount out from under its front U bracket.
[thumb]

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts