Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen different answers. Could someone clear up. 2013 Focus with extended warranty has a 6yr/60,000mi. powertrain warranty and 8yr/80,000mi emissions warranty. I've seen people say that the warranty was extended due to the DCT issues and/or the class action suit. Is this true?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Due to the class action lawsuit and the high number of problems people have faced, Ford elected to extend the warranty on every 2012, 2013 and early-build 2014, Focus with the DCT on the following parts; clutch pack assembly, transmission input shaft seals and the transmission control module (TCM). The warranty covers these components and others IF the failure of the part/assembly in question is caused by malfunction of the covered parts. This covers most repairs of the shuddering symptoms. Ford has a specific test that they will perform on your vehicle to determine if your car is operating beyond parameters deemed acceptable under normal operation.

I have 2 Foci and have had this test done on both of them on my 2013 it was tested at 70k miles and failed, they ordered new parts and replaced everything, it was tested again at 98k and it passed within established parameters, it does shudder a bit but not drastically. On my 2014 it was tested and failed at 53k everything was replaced and now at almost 70k it still shifts like butter! It's worth noting that the 14 is mine and i drive it more aggressively than my wife drives the 13. These cars like it a little rough, mine works great unless I'm stuck in traffic and forced to crawl, then it shudders very slightly but recovers after traffic returns to normal. My wife's car on the other hand shudders more unless I pull the negative cable (resetting the "learning program") and I drive it aggressively, then it only shudders very lightly and infrequently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to the class action lawsuit and the high number of problems people have faced, Ford elected to extend the warranty on every 2012, 2013 and early-build 2014, Focus with the DCT on the following parts; clutch pack assembly, transmission input shaft seals and the transmission control module (TCM). The warranty covers these components and others IF the failure of the part/assembly in question is caused by malfunction of the covered parts. This covers most repairs of the shuddering symptoms. Ford has a specific test that they will perform on your vehicle to determine if your car is operating beyond parameters deemed acceptable under normal operation.

I have 2 Foci and have had this test done on both of them on my 2013 it was tested at 70k miles and failed, they ordered new parts and replaced everything, it was tested again at 98k and it passed within established parameters, it does shudder a bit but not drastically. On my 2014 it was tested and failed at 53k everything was replaced and now at almost 70k it still shifts like butter! It's worth noting that the 14 is mine and i drive it more aggressively than my wife drives the 13. These cars like it a little rough, mine works great unless I'm stuck in traffic and forced to crawl, then it shudders very slightly but recovers after traffic returns to normal. My wife's car on the other hand shudders more unless I pull the negative cable (resetting the "learning program") and I drive it aggressively, then it only shudders very lightly and infrequently.
Is there anywhere I can go to look up this warranty extension? And does the test cost me money or is it on the dealership?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Calling the 800 number would be your best option. Your car is a 2013 so it is included in the extension, don't let them tell you otherwise. The dealer shouldn't charge you for the test (but I can see some of the s*ittier dealers trying to charge if your car comes back "normal") When I had my wife's 13 tested at 98k (well out of bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty) they never asked for any payment. Have them print you out an OASIS report on your VIN number. It's really useful information to have especially if you bought used. Any Ford dealer can do it and the good ones won't charge you for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All effected cars got letters from Ford or just call Ford with your vin #----800 -392-3673---- follow prompts GL
Calling the 800 number would be your best option. Your car is a 2013 so it is included in the extension, don't let them tell you otherwise. The dealer shouldn't charge you for the test (but I can see some of the s*ittier dealers trying to charge if your car comes back "normal") When I had my wife's 13 tested at 98k (well out of bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty) they never asked for any payment. Have them print you out an OASIS report on your VIN number. It's really useful information to have especially if you bought used. Any Ford dealer can do it and the good ones won't charge you for it.
Thanks guys. I tried the 800 number and they are closed for the day. I never got a letter from Ford or anyone else about the warranty extension. I've seen conflicting things on the internet. I recently heard there was some sort of class action, but heard nothing/ haven't been contacted. Wanted to make sure the extension was real and not some internet b.s.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
2015 is NOT covered.

THere's a Stickie at the top of this section with info. on the details of the warranty extension - good trough a certain time mid-'14 production.

DIFFERENT extension on the TCM's, cars included & coverage time/miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I don't understand why ford would extend earlier models clutch packs and other transmission components to 7 yrs 100,000 mi. and not the later models like my early 2015 model. it has the same transmission as the early models. i have 53,000 already had clutches replaced at 44,000 so after 60,000 FORD you are making me pay the bill? this is crazy. Ford lawsuit settlement was a complete joke!! lawyers got richer consumers got nothing. well i've heard 2016 models are having shutter problems. Ford needs to extend all models warranty BE FAIR!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would hope that if Ford sees enough later model Foci with clutch/seal problems that they would expand the coverage but if it will actually happen is anyone's guess. It took a few YEARS to get what we got now. Unfortunately class-action lawsuits are just a way to make the lawyers (who's numbers are relatively few) involved a load of money while getting the actual people involved (which are relatively many) jack s*it. But you can't say they're ALL bad as they can help to spur policy change (see warranty extension).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts