Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first things first, is it possible to swap the automatic transmission in a 2004 Focus Wagon ZTW for a manual, and how expensive is it?

Here's a not so serious one; would it be possible to swap the drivetrain to AWD and put a crate engine in the back of the car?

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL. Anything is possible, it's a question of time and money.

Auto to manual swap: Most likely, you should start with pricing out the components that you will require. Flywheel, transmission, clutch (You'll want a new one) pedals. Hydraulics for clutch master and slave. This will require changes to the ECU, and there will be assorted electrical changes to be made. I'm far more familiar with this issue in other cars, and have taken a very basic look at this with my 2012, given the fact that I have the DCT which is, as we're painfully aware, a total POS.

For the crate engine, LOL.

Were I to consider this, I'd probably start looking at a front engine AWD drivetrain myself, there's plenty of room under the hood, and it makes for much simpler cooling. Also the suspension setup is better suited to it. I think it pretty much exists as factory parts to boot.

That said, for a crate engine, you're probably better off with the rear engine, though it does make suspension and balance a bit difficult. I'd start with a Porche AWD transmission and front differential. You'd need a custom driveshaft to the front, and CV shafts to drive the front wheels. The rear suspension you might be able to get from one of the AWD rally focuses, but there will be a lot of custom work required, of course, You'll need some serious reinforcement of the chassis back there to keep the engine from turning the rear frame into a twizzler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts