Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a full engine rebuild which future plans will include a turbo, but right now do to costs I am just building the bottom end and top end and will most likely have it NA for a while, I need my 2nd vehicle up and running again.

I was told that 3" exhaust will help when I go turbo, right now I have a 2.5" SVT Magnaflow exhaust. The front has be changed over with SVT header & Cat.

I plan on getting the 3" flex also from Trubendz, but how will that meet with the CAT? I want to get the C-F-M SVT CAT. On their web site it sounds like there might be mounting problems depending on previous exhaust size.

Will there be any problems mounting the C-F-M High Flow CAT to the TruBendz 3" Flex Pipe?

Thanks!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Honestly, just stick with what you have for exhaust right now.
When (if) you go turbo, buy the exhaust then. Because maybe the flex will have to be modified due to turbo choice/location/etc. Doesn't pay to spend money twice.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. I am planing on getting the CFM SVT cat though, I can't stand the location of the O2 sensors. Don't most turbos for the Focus fit right up at the exhaust ports on the block? (Use a "shorty" header style). I think I should venture to the FI section and find out what they are doing.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Location of the turbo depends entirely on the size of the turbo and what turbo manifold (header) you use. It wont affect your flex unless you do a rear/bottom mount turbo which would suck. That would make it spool slower.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Location of the turbo depends entirely on the size of the turbo and what turbo manifold (header) you use. It wont affect your flex unless you do a rear/bottom mount turbo which would suck. That would make it spool slower.
Posted via FF Mobile
with that same logic it should not effect the CAT at all either right? I have converted my exhaust over to the SVT, so I have the whole front of the engine to play with for Turbo locations...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Really? then why has STS (www.ststurbo.com) had so much success with rear mounted turbo systems? Why would you think that the spool time would be slower?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
with that same logic it should not effect the CAT at all either right? I have converted my exhaust over to the SVT, so I have the whole front of the engine to play with for Turbo locations...
it SHOULDNT affect the cat. it just depends on your setup and how you route your down pipe. it would be easy and cheap to get a custom down pipe made to connect to the cat. if you are going to run a turbo i would just de-cat the car anyway unless you have really strict smog regulations where you live.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
double post FTW

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have really strict emission testing... I got busted for having a tune... they ran a detailed report and saw some things not reporting that should have been. So they failed me... I am not sure how the whole adding a turbo changes anything but I am sure it does not...

I would love to be back in Michigan where I don't have to worry about this crap.

Really? then why has STS (www.ststurbo.com) had so much success with rear mounted turbo systems? Why would you think that the spool time would be slower?
Its physics, If I have for the sake of numbers 1 cubic foot of volume in the exhaust before the turbo, I have that much volume to provide a sufficient delta in pressure from one side of the turbo to the other to start spinning the turbo. to spin the turbo faster / quicker I will need a larger delta. It will take longer to "pressurize" the 1 cubic foot of volume vs 0.5 cubic feet of volume.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts