Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience with these?

Getting oddly attracted to them, with the dearth of small P/U options for two passenger/occasional utility/camping use.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yess! I want one pretty badly, my wife says they are gnarly and not in a good way.

I just want to drop one on some TE37s and cruise in it, like a fake dadmobile.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
I like the new ones better, I think they use the Fusion 6 spd. You might be able to find a diesel version from Canada, but good luck on finding someone to work on it.

I am personally waiting for the rumored hybrid version. If I recall correctly, you can configure the vehicle with either 3 rows of seats or a single wider 3 person rear seat.

[offtopic] a kid asked me today.. "What kind of hatchback is that?"
"Um, a wagon?"

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
OH, also, I think you have to get the commercial van in order to get the 3 seat second row, and I'm not sure if any configurations come with interior wall trim. I might be wrong, and anything is possible on the used market.

My perfect van would have wall insulation and trim, 3 seat second row, no 3rd row windows, SYNC, backup camera, cornering lights, and front and rear collision warning systems. I've had the parking package... I can leave it, but it does work. I'm up in the air about lift-gate or doors. I've never had a van with dual rear doors. From what I've read the TC's doors open very wide.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've been searching around & need to confirm the break point on trans/engines for sure still. LOOKS like 2013, still not positive.

Earlier ones were all 2.0 duratecs with the 4F27E trans - just like a Focus - supposedly bolt in compatible even to swapping in the manual trans not sold here from a Focus (NO IDEA how complex that would be, just saw a reference that the clutch master holes were in the firewall and it bolted up).

Later models got 2.5 & 6F35 - Fusion powertrain - and 1.6 GTDI optional.

Transmission comes up as a possible weak point for earlier ones - but variability from VERY early failure to over 225k before failure.
2010 has references to front wheel bearings going early, no mention after that.

With the first two work vans I looked at only 1k apart in price - for 2011 to 2013 and both near 100k mark (over/under) - just what engine/trans is included could be a BIG difference.

6F35 is apparently harder to check out, without dipstick. Fluid Level bolt that seeps fluid when full (when removed while vehicle running) as a check. Drain bolt for partial changes at the bottom looks handy though.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Yeah, I don't know why Ford is so anti-manual transmission now. The ugly Dodge little van is available with a 9 spd auto, and that Tigershark multi-air engine is slightly more powerful than Ford's 2.5 Dtec. They detuned the bugger down from 184 hp to 178 for some reason, probably more torque. It's a gas engine without a throttle body, but certainly not Mazda's high compression Skyactiv. I thought that they made a diesel, but no. I'm not sure you'd want it anyway- diesel passenger vehicles should be produced with supplemental electric heat IMO or- at the minimum- a factory fitted radiator cover. Funny thing is... with all that tech from the 9 spd to the electro-hydraulic air intake control- you get a meager 2 mpg city, and 1 mpg hwy.

Ford should offer a performance version of the Transit Connect. That's our million dollar idea bro, fit the new TC with a 6 spd manual, modern turbo, no rear glass with a rear view monitor, subwoofer and 3-way DSP sound system, and bike rack. Interior is black light and white light lit with black light trim that changes color when you switch, maybe some other interior lighting options- I got ideas. We might sell one, but there has to be some millionaire out there somewhere who wants to help us build one. Surely one of them has some disposable income.

Ooo... appeal to the green crew too, install C-Max drive train, batteries under the floor would improve handling by moving the center of gravity downward. We could bump the compression from 12.5 to 14.5 and force them to use high octane fuel, double the cells but wire them in a series to increase voltage (and therefore power) instead of range.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Anyone with experience with these?

Getting oddly attracted to them, with the dearth of small P/U options for two passenger/occasional utility/camping use.
No really a lot of room in the cab......at least for me.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like that performance option idea - but not avail. yet....

2013 looks to have the 2.0/4 spd. setup still, so no bonus there for the later one other than years on the road.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah the Transit Connect has always seemed to share quite a few parts with the Focus. I remember the early Transits here in the US had the same automatic shifter as the mk1 Focus and a few other things.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, gave up on that idea - at least for now. High mile Focus drivetrain (with automatic) in the Transit Connect just seemed like too much gamble right now - like put aside new trans money just in case.

Found a 2013 5-spd MkIII at a reasonable price, gonna replace the 2004 with that (both black FWIW).

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Well, gave up on that idea - at least for now. High mile Focus drivetrain (with automatic) in the Transit Connect just seemed like too much gamble right now - like put aside new trans money just in case.

Found a 2013 5-spd MkIII at a reasonable price, gonna replace the 2004 with that (both black FWIW).
doesnt sound as adventurous but reasonable [;)] Give me a 5sp over an auto4 any day though

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doesnt sound as adventurous but reasonable [;)] Give me a 5sp over an auto4 any day though
Kinda what I did, the 5spd Focus Works!

It's odd to drive now, feels like the old car a bit - nicer in a number of ways - also feels a bit like the rental F-150 I've been using for some moving! Forgot which vehicle & stalled the Focus once! (New Ford similarities)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Can you get a Transit Connect in a 5-speed manual, or do they only come in automatics?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Only automatic here in americuh. Everywhere else they get 4x4 and manual trans options.
I saw a few people swap out the trans for a manual on a few old gen transit connects.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only automatic here in americuh. Everywhere else they get 4x4 and manual trans options.
I saw a few people swap out the trans for a manual on a few old gen transit connects.
I'm about to venture into this, bought a 2011 focus 5 speed parts car, gonna make my 2010 TC a 5 speed, was wondering what if any electrical changes (if u know) need to be done to make this configuration work properly? Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts