Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Has anyone ever had their transaxle cooling system engine light turn on while you were driving? Well it has been happening to me so I took it to a mechanic and he dident know what was going on. He flushed the transmission and cleaned everything out. It has not happened again, yet but he doese't know if he fixed it or not. Anyway has anyone had this problume and if so do you know how to fix it? It is like puting the breaks on @ 75 MPH, So I cant emagine it is good for the axel, anyway please let me know if you know the answer. P.S. I have a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3

Thanks [?|]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
By trans cooling light do you mean the little '!' light on the dashboard? If so, this means that the transmission has gone into a safety mode in which it will stay in second gear. This happens mainly when the trans is overheating (I think), and it locks in second gear to keep the transmission from shifting (so it cools down and nothing gets damaged). Flushing the fluid may have helped, but I don't know if it will have completely fixed the problem. Keep an eye on your transmission fluid (level and if it smess burnt). If something is going on, the fluid should tell you.....but a burnt smell is not a good thing...not good at all....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats exactly it thanks man I will show this to my mechanic and see if he knows what is going on it has not happened again yet and I never smell burning is it something that can be fixed or do I have to get a new trani anyway thanks for the help I really am greatful

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Well, if the trans goes into that safety mode it means that it was probably overheating. So the fluid that was in there probably got burnt when it was getting that hot (however, why it got that hot to beging with....I don't know, it may have just been low on fluid or something). Flushing the fluid and changing it may have saved you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone I have had the car for about a week with no probs so I think the prob has been solved.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
FordRacer1 - Your problem looks like it was solved after 'flushing' the transaxle. How long did you go on that transaxle before you had to replace your engine (transaxle with it)? Did you ever get the transaxle light again on the original transaxle? My fluid level is fine and doesn't smell burnt either. TIA

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
dude this is a 3 year old thread. really?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
that means he used the search feature, dont give him shit for trying.

he has a relevant issue that was associated with the thread....3 yrs old or not, good for him for actually USING THE SEARCH FEATURE.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
now you see... this is why the mods should add a sheepish grin emoticon. i interpreted it as him answering a question to a 3 year old dead thread. ya know? the one where some guy goes "hey i started having such and such a problem. what could be causing it?" then another guy goes "well tweak this here, and put a tablespoon of sugar in your gas and call me in the morning" and then the guy goes "hey thanks! its a week later and that sugar in my gas worked like a charm! no more problems for me!" and 3 years later a random guy brings the dead thread back going "hey man! i have a solution for your problem! put some sugar in your gas tank!"

after seeing it a bazillion times it gets annoying. however after that whole thing and going back and actually reading what the guy said and comprehending its meaning in my mind i realize that he has a legitimate reason for bringing a dead thread back to the land of the living, so please take this moment to accept my humble apologies and also i would like to wish you congratulations for mastering the lost art of operating the search button.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
lol - no worries. A solved problem without a follow-up begs a reply. A 3 year old thread or 10 year old thread - left click the name and you may see that the poster is still around. Potential solution to a problem - priceless.

This one says it best:

its hard to get tranny questions answered ........
ive seen some threads where noone gets a CEL
but they use these how tos to fix but never respond back if it worked i hate that[:(!]
but NEways its worth a shot to replace the solenoids before spending big bucks on a Mechanic
so look at the solenoids that control certain functions of the ATX and pinpoint it down to what controls all of these if needed

good luck

Reactions: roosterst
1 - 12 of 12 Posts