Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Transaxle/cooling system light?

I had a light on my dash light up. It is an exclamation point in the middle of what looks like a sun. I have an 01 Zetec 5-speed. The car hesitates for just a second when it it lights up. Please advise as to what the problem could be...the owners manual says it is a multi-function:automatic transaxle/cooling system (on zetec or automatic transaxle vehicles only) I had my normal mechanic look at it, and he said it was beyond him, and my car is far past the mileage to be under warranty...PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
alternator or batttery issues I think. Maybe over heating
all else fails take it to the dealer

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm not sure what would be causing it, but when that light turns on on a manual-equipped Zetec Focus, it means the ECU has put the engine in "limp home mode," where it backs the timing way off and turns off one cylinder so it cycles air, which aids in cooling the engine.

Your best bet is going to be a dealer or a mechanic that can interface with the computer and figure out what's going on...if I had to guess, I'd say you have a faulty connection on a sensor wire somewhere if it comes on and turns right back off periodically.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. The light shines and then the car jars for just a second then it is fine. In the manual is says to get it services, I am a girl. What does that mean? Where should I take it? lol Please help

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
take it first to advanced auto parts and have them check for codes with a scanner, if that'll show whats causin the issue, then you can take it to a reputable shop, and tell them what the advance auto code reader said,

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not sure what would be causing it, but when that light turns on on a manual-equipped Zetec Focus, it means the ECU has put the engine in "limp home mode," where it backs the timing way off and turns off one cylinder so it cycles air, which aids in cooling the engine.
My owner's manual says it shuts down two of the cylinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts