Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Im in the process of installing poly mounts in my lower trans mount, and the problems started before I even got the damn thing off! The bolt that connects it to the tranny came out very easily, but the other one seems to be frozen inside the bushing [:(!] The bolt is free and turning but it is twisting the inner metal sleeve. This happened on my rear suspension and I had to cut them out with a sawz-all. I doubt I could get one in the limited space I have... Any thoughts? Suggestions? Should I just tighten it back up and leave it? Its like my focus doesnt like to be modded at all, she doesnt want to come apart [rolleyes]

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Thats not good. From my understanding, the bolts are supposed to unscrew all the way out. Wonder if the bolt broke or stripped.

I couldn't even loosen the bolts for the lower mount. Guess i need to work out more. So i'm bringing mine to a shop to install, which looks like you may have to do as well. Good luck.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
If the bolt was spinning and not coming out it sounds like the threads on the bolt or on the hole are stripped.

I am notorious for breaking bolts off and trust me a good bolt back out set is always handy. A bolt back out set is like a punch with a square end, you drill a hole into the broken off bolt and hammer the square punch in then use pliars to back it out.

Good luck
Jon

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,
Its not spinning or stripped yet (I hope). I broke it loose with a 3 foot pipe on the end of my ratchet, there has to be a beastly guy at the factory putting these things together. Whats happening is the rubber will flex when i try to turn it then pop back into place. I didnt want to break it so ive tightened it up for now. I might take it to a shop if i get frustrated enough, I also might just crank on it. If it breaks Ive got a Bolt Out set thats saved my ass several times by now [:D] Ill update once something happens.
Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
sounds like you have too much of the engines weight on the mount when you are trying to undo the bolt....if the rubber is turning the ntry jacking up the rear of the engine a little at a time until the bolt can spin...the inside if the sleeve on the mount is not threaded so it has to be the load causing the sleeve to lean on the bolt..good luck[thumb]

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I agree with you on the beastly man theory. My car was moving on jack stands when I tried to break the bolts loose. I just dropped my car off this morning to have it installed. Only $45 and will be done by 1:00.

At least it's not stripped.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Saturate it with either PB Blaster or Kroil. Let it set for a few hours and then try it again. The problem is that the bushing's elastisity will prevent you from applying full pressure. You might have to find someone with air and a big, honkin' impact wrench.[:)]
Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i had the same problem with a suspension component on another car... propane torch it, pb blaster, and beat the crap out of it until it comes out.. wiggle the jack to get different angles in case there is weight on it too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts