Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read about the issues with the DCT and various things. I've got a 2013 SE sedan. Mileage is about 91,500 now.

Car was purchased about 16,000 miles used. Had stutter initially and trans issues. They replaced clutch packs under warranty and I think updated the TCM. That was probably around 2016 sometime.

Fast forward to now. Car has been a commuter most of it's life. Usually about 50 miles or so highway to work with a little stop and go. Took it 55-60 miles to work on wednesday with no issues, all the way home as well. Took it 5 miles or so back to Church that night, left, went to walmart, started home and the transmission began going goofy. It didn't do the symptoms such as the selector not appearing for example, but the rpms were fluctuating a good amount and had violent shifting.

I'm familiar with stutter and all that and usually try to drive accordingly. But in this instance, you could put the pedal on the floor for example, and the engine would rev up, and want to stay in 1st gear, then it might violently shift, then you would try to slow down and let your foot off the gas, the car would almost act like it was trying to do an engine brake, sometimes even if you had your foot on the gas. Was kind of scary to even get it home.

Called Ford dealer yesterday, they can't look at it until next Thursday. I did go ahead and order AAA. So they will be able to tow the car in. But I've not driven or moved the car since the issues. Any ideas?

I called a dealership in Hawaii because all in my area in the midwest were closed at the time, and the guy said it sounded to him like TCM or clutch packs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
So I've read about the issues with the DCT and various things. I've got a 2013 SE sedan. Mileage is about 91,500 now.

Car was purchased about 16,000 miles used. Had stutter initially and trans issues. They replaced clutch packs under warranty and I think updated the TCM. That was probably around 2016 sometime.

Fast forward to now. Car has been a commuter most of it's life. Usually about 50 miles or so highway to work with a little stop and go. Took it 55-60 miles to work on wednesday with no issues, all the way home as well. Took it 5 miles or so back to Church that night, left, went to walmart, started home and the transmission began going goofy. It didn't do the symptoms such as the selector not appearing for example, but the rpms were fluctuating a good amount and had violent shifting.

I'm familiar with stutter and all that and usually try to drive accordingly. But in this instance, you could put the pedal on the floor for example, and the engine would rev up, and want to stay in 1st gear, then it might violently shift, then you would try to slow down and let your foot off the gas, the car would almost act like it was trying to do an engine brake, sometimes even if you had your foot on the gas. Was kind of scary to even get it home.

Called Ford dealer yesterday, they can't look at it until next Thursday. I did go ahead and order AAA. So they will be able to tow the car in. But I've not driven or moved the car since the issues. Any ideas?

I called a dealership in Hawaii because all in my area in the midwest were closed at the time, and the guy said it sounded to him like TCM or clutch packs. Thoughts?
Agree; sounds like your TCM failed which should be covered by the extended warranty on that item.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is at dealership today. I drove it there last night to drop off. Check engine light was on. Car didn't seem to want to go above 20-30 miles per hour. So I'd say it didn't want to go out of 1st and 2nd. I actually resorted to putting it in L while driving for part of the time. Thankfully it was a short drive in a small town.

Will update when car is fixed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So haven't gotten the car back yet. But got a call from the dealership. They believe that the TCM has failed and are covering it under extended warranty.

I asked him for my own information, and he said if I would have had to pay for it from my own pocket, it would have been about 407 dollars I think. Clutch packs would be a bit over 300. Though he didn't think those needed done now. So after they replace the TCM, they were going to run more diagnostics to be sure that nothing else was wrong.

They are also keeping the car overnight, I never took it in for the recall on the door latches, so since it's in their shop, they are going to take care of that as well. Hopefully the car acts nice for a while.

But as I told my wife previously, if the transmission or TCM is going to go out, I'd prefer it all happen while it's in warranty. Good thing is I signed up for AAA. So if it does ever strand me on the side of the road, at least I can get towed back to the shop.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final update. Dealer replaced TCM under warranty and also the door latches under the recall. My wife is going to pick it up today, but the service guy said after the TCM was changed, he drove it and didn't see anymore codes, so they said we'll wait to see if that solves it and go from there if there are anymore issues. Glad to know the TCM only runs about 400-500 to replace at the dealer in case I'd need to have this done outside the extended warranty later on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts