Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First comment on this site as a newcomer!
But I also have a very similar issue. When I first bought the car, 2001 ZX3, I noticed third gear wanted to pop out. Well, after a couple months of me thinking it was my fault, its getting worse. When i put it in third gear, it will pop out before i can even fully release the clutch. If that's not bad enough, it has now just started doing it in first gear too...
Sound like a synchro??
I'm very familiar with motors, small and large, but never touched a tranny. i also have the IB5 tranny or whatever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Made this a separate thread for more looks.

Cable adj. check when the problem first started would have been good, if that's off & you aren't getting it fully into gear trans problems can result from repeated popping out.

Still worth a look if the throw into those gears doesn't seem adequate, they're BOTH in the same direction (forward on the lever).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Being a MK1 ZX3, wouldn't this be a zetec/mtx75 combo?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good Eye, copied his info. but it was incorrect.

Removed IB5 from the title now...

MTX -75 has more of a history of developing problems with third, at least to the point where it's been heard of rather than never heard of...

Incomplete shifting into gear still fits as one of the contributors.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Third gear makes a noise under load if I jab the gas. Until it warms up it makes chirping sounds when I step on the gas. Again, only in third. It's always done this and hasn't got any worse. And I have the ib5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the Vin # and according to that, its the IB5. I also thought it was the 75 myself. I will check the cables. Oh, and thank you sailor, for helping me on my thread! Greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"you're welcome" to all, and try to give the grumpy guys a break - they often have good info. & haven't quit tryin' to help. (don't take the grumbling too personally)

·
Registered
221 Posts
"you're welcome" to all, and try to give the grumpy guys a break - they often have good info. & haven't quit tryin' to help. (don't take the grumbling too personally)
No harmful words or any sorts of verbal abuse intended, old guy. [neener]

Wisdom is such a great thing to acquire in life. To be "grumpy" in your terms as you put it, to me, shuts out most of that wisdom, even at the greatest of times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts