Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever have to change the automatic Trans Fluid. They say to just pull the dipstick and check it. Does it ever need to be replaced? Also it says I have a lifetime airfilter and then in the service manual it says to change at 15000 miles. Which is it? Thanks for the help. BTW I have a 06 Focus ZX4 SES

·
Registered
115 Posts
You need to change the tranny fluid every 30,000 or so. And unless you have a washable air filter (i.e. K&N, or another brande). Then you will need to change your air filter out, if not just clean your washable filter every 15,000 or so.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I have a lifetime airfilter and then in the service manual it says to change at 15000 miles."

Well, obviously they think the Focus lifetime is 150,000 miles!

Seriously, it is a very long life, high capacity filter. There is a gauge that one can check while the engine is running to determine if it needs to be changed. It is in the engine compartment and is in the rough shape of a clear plastic fuel filter. It has a line and red and green levels to show if there is too much pressure drop across the filter. Obviously it will depend on the conditions you drive in, but they estimate that under ordinary conditions it should last 150,000 miles.

You should have gotten a service schedule with the owners manual. If you do not have it, you can go to https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/maintenance_schedules/Getymm.asp and down load one.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yeah, Ford says you have a "non serviceable" air filter. I don't know why they would do that, but leave it to them to throw a wrench in the mix.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"I don't know why they would do that"

Many people find that getting improved filtration (helping ensure engine longevity) and not having to service the air filter is preferable to periodically buying new filters, replacing them, and in exchange having poorer filtration.

Ford certainly did not do it to save money, as this system is almost certainly much more costly:

http://www.visteon.com/utils/whitepapers/2005_01_1139.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts