Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[bawling]I also have a 2005 Focus ZX4. When I bought it used I had to have a new Radiator, AC condenser & tranny cooler. I bought the AC condenser and the Tranny cooler at a junkyard a friend of mine has. That was in August of 2014. Now I'm having trouble. [:(] I can drive it fine for a little while but after the fluid heats up when I try to speed up on a hill (yeah those WV hills) it's like it's revving up instead of changing gears. [:(!] I'm thinking the Tranny cooler is messed up!! Any thoughts from you guys???

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I think you need a thread of your own (made you one) to get answers on your transmission troubles.

I assume the replacement front end parts were due to collision damage, and the trans. cooler is unlikely to be a source of your problem.

(Plenty of nice hills on 19 alone, and that's prob. the SMOOTHEST road around there!)

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually no it wasn't for a front end collision on my part. It had been done before. The tranny runs fine when you first start out but after it warms up is when the problem starts. The guy that looked under it last said it looked like the tranny cooler had been pieced together.[???:)]

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
'The tranny runs fine when you first start out but after it warms up is when the problem starts.'

Normal for a worn ATX.

FYI, Focus trans coolers are known for clogging up if trans does something wrong, Ford recommends to never reuse them after trans damage or high mileage. The internal finning inside tubes tends to hold onto wear material.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's what I told the guy that told me I needed a new Transmission. I would rather make a few small fixes to see if that helps than put a bunch of money that I don't have in a new tranny. Also the fluid is leaking. The garage put a quart in it & 4 days later I had to put more in it. I may be a woman but I know more about cars than most men.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
The leak could be the problem. If trans ever gets low enough to slip and you gas it up at that point then the luck of the draw as to whether you permanently damage trans at that time. The clutch packs can burn up with only 10 seconds of full load slip, maybe even less. It will be slip city forever after that.

I once torched a trans like that when I stupidly used rubber fuel line for trans cooler hose and it ruptured while entering freeway from an entrance ramp, the 2 seconds or so of slip before I realized something was wrong tore the trans up.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I once torched a trans like that when I stupidly used rubber fuel line for trans cooler hose and it ruptured while entering freeway from an entrance ramp, the 2 seconds or so of slip before I realized something was wrong tore the trans up.
Truth. The grip material on the clutch disks within the transmission are basically like sand paper or skateboard grip tape, if the fluid pressure isn't correct between the disks, they won't fully engage and the mating surfaces grind away the physical link that transfers torque.

I had a lot of trouble phrasing that, it got graphic pretty quickly in my head. Take it to a reputable transmission shop and get it diagnosed, you're looking for fluid pressure numbers that indicate the trans is transferring torque correctly.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was driving down the road a little bit ago & the OD/off light came on blinking yellow. I took it straight to the local Auto Zone to have it checked but it wouldn't show up on the code detector. He said I'd have to take it to a dealer but of course they are all closed now. :-(
Thanks for all the help guys. I just wish I could figure it out without spending a whole lot of money that I really don't have!

·
Registered
374 Posts
If u have an SCT tuner it usually picks up codes that Autozone doesn't. Ran into that a few times even my code reader wouldn't get code but the tuner did ;)

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
It's a trans code, a lot of lower end scanners won't pick those up. Could be a pending one too, or one the PCM is still evaluating before posting it. Often takes a better scanner to read pending ones as well.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Not surprised, they have damped the code recording to often only show up after the car has stopped moving or even not at all then. I've seen cars running so bad that a glass of water put on fender was tossed off it was running so bad and still no code. Depending on how that error is set up inside PCM it could take as many as 40 times for it to error before it registers as a hard fault that then lights up the light.

Earlier cars that recorded codes much faster drove Ford crazy with phantom warranty issues because the lights were coming on even if the car driver sneezed. They killed all of that by coming up with code having to show certain number of times to record, or it had to be there solid as a rock, most will not do that since the problem not there all the time, only part of the time.

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The light stays on & blinks til I turn it off. Then when I turn it back on it's off. I'm getting a new tranny cooler put on it tomorrow. I hope it either fixes it or improves it!

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it to the garage to have the new tranny cooler put on but the one from Auto Zone wouldn't work so I have one from Ford ordered!!

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Odds are nothing will happen there...............

·
Registered
2007 Ford Focus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I was checking out some other Tranny problem forums & according to Sailor, AMC49 is the expert on this stuff. So the question I have now is, other than completely tearing the Tranny apart is there a way to check the different gear sensors?
I was coming back home today & it's a lot of hills. I was going pretty good & started to slow a bit when I easily pushed it to go faster it started. It sounded like it was in neutral & wouldn't go any faster. It does better if I start from a dead stop so I pulled off the road and started again. It shifted from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd ok but not 3rd to 4th. It shook a bit & I let off it as soon as I felt it doing that. This is really frustrating. It was fine til about a month ago & this crap started!!!! HELP![bigcry]

·
Registered
4,409 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's what I told the guy that told me I needed a new Transmission. I would rather make a few small fixes to see if that helps than put a bunch of money that I don't have in a new tranny. Also the fluid is leaking. The garage put a quart in it & 4 days later I had to put more in it. I may be a woman but I know more about cars than most men.

I give you props for being interested in cars and having the knowledge that most women don't have. You should stick around the forum and learn/share. Amc49 is right on track (as usual).

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Nothing can be done if the trans has internal wear to do that. Can be a broken 2-4 servo pin, or wear at the end cover to make hydraulic leaks. Could be electrical as well. Once clutch packs are slipped enough they damage pretty quick to not ever lock up fully again, the slipping going on there. Can't keep driving around like that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts