1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, is there a way to gear a 5 speed transmission close like the SVT

Second, does any trans have a 4 wheel drive option like the rally car

Third, will it fit on the SVT

Fourth, how much will have to be changed to make a SVT all wheel drive with the same gears as the current SVT

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds expensive... the gearing isn't the issue...

Stillen made an all-wheel-drive Celica...Ligenfelter made an all-wheel-drive GMC Sonoma with 700 hp at a cost of $137,027.

The English RS Focus has a 5 speed tranny. The Acura RSX 5 speed tranny and the RSX-S 6 speed tranny have the exact same top gear ratio, ie, the 5th gear from the 5 speed and the 6th gear from the 6 speed are the same... whoa! BUT, the 5 speed is obviously not going to be as closely geared.

You can get a 5 speed with close gearing, but then have to deal with either:
A) high RPM at freeway speeds
B) really tall first gear so freeway cruising isn't painful

Do you have $20K to throw at your SVT???

My advice, save $37K and get a Caterham Super Light R, it comes with a 200 hp SVT engine, 6 speed tranny, weighs 1080 lbs. With 0-60 mph in 3.4s, it will beat most production cars, no?

Or $40K for a Lotus Elise...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1.) You'll probably have to look into aftermarket trannys, but maybe you can change the gears.[???:)]

2.) In order to get 4-wheel drive you need a transfercase... It will be totally custom and pretty expensive on a vehicle that is 2wd. I know with trucks that 2wd and 4wd use different frames.

3.) Having never owned a Focus (looking at one however) and not knowing what will bolt up to the engine, I cannot answer this quesion. I doubt it however.

4.) I couldn't really say what needs to be changed, but you'll at least need a differential for the back, a drive shaft for the back, a t-case, and lots of time. I read in a magazine where Ford dropped a S/C'd 4.6L V8 in a Focus and made it rear wheel drive (the way it should be) using the Cobras IRS suspension. I believe the cost of the conversion was $60,000 for the mods alone! For trucks, I know that it is much easier, and a heck of a lot cheaper to sell a 2wd truck and buy a 4wd than it is to convert.

I personally think you'd be better off getting the SVT if you are wanting a close-geared transmission... maybe the 6-speed from the SVT will bolt up instead of the 5 speed.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Lies and rumours I've read say that the an AWD has been created in the US with rear end drivetrain and suspension from a Ford Forester.............I'll have to hunt the info and see if I can find it.

-Later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts