Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I want to do a tranny swap on an 01 ZTS (w/DOHC). I have an auto and want to go to manual. I only can swap/modify, I can't trade-in or anything like that. What do I need beside the tranny, clutch assembly, pressure plate/clutch, and manual ECU? I know I'm probably forgetting something. Do I need any special parts, like half-shafts? Is there something I should know? Is there a good place to get this stuff? Thanks for the help, and reading all my questions. lol

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
just buy a better auto tranny and forget about the manual..
you will spend less if you buy the parts from PA or LT and ask a shop to do the tranny work than just swaping he thing....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that too, looking into Level 10 and Lentech, but I can still do it cheaper; the manual parts are cheaper, not to mention its easier to modify a car with a manual (generally).

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
how much do you think a tranny will cost ?
what about labor ?
ecu?
clutch pedal
hole in the firewall
clutch pump...

ect...
we are looking for at least 800 for ALL the prts...
then comes the labor...
unless you do it yourself it gonna be expesive...let put like $60/hr...lets say the shop do the work in 10 hrs...
thats 600....
so thats add up to 1,400...AND you still have a stock tranny...

but you can sepend like 1200 and ask a shop to do the job and you will end ups paying like 1500 BUT with a race tranny...good for over 200 whp....

just my .02...

Joel

(btw...i have an auto...so i have tought about this too)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get a tranny for ~$375, a clutch/pressure plate for ~$60, but I've yet to find a clutch assembly (pedals, reservoir, etc.). I can get the ECU for about $65. Besides, getting the auto built requires me (or me paying someone) to remove it anyway. Not only that, but I want to have a manual; autos are ok, but I want to have the fun factor, not to mention I eventually want to go to a road course; I'm not gonna drag it. I figure if I do it myself, with only getting an upgraded clutch and an LSD, that 200whp is do-able. I not gonna go much past that; I don't have $3000 for a blower or turbo. I wanna have an awesome NA Focus that can handle, and a manual to back it up.[:D]

·
Registered
877 Posts
Why not add a new valve body, and Torque converter to your ATX? that will allow you to handle alot more power, and in the words of somone on here "Drink your big gulp, while spanking a civic" Its also mostlikly cheaper, but im not sure of ease of install, I think the valve body if pretty deep into the assembly.

-Shawn

Edit: Well n/m just read your post, you posted while i was typing, lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd just like to know everything I need, i.e., parts that I haven't listed. Thanks again all

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
good luck man....
IMO is more work that it looks !!

BTW...
dont forget the axels too....
and the key reprogamming...
[thumb]

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
l88m22vette said:
I can get a tranny for ~$375, a clutch/pressure plate for ~$60, but I've yet to find a clutch assembly (pedals, reservoir, etc.). I can get the ECU for about $65. Besides, getting the auto built requires me (or me paying someone) to remove it anyway. Not only that, but I want to have a manual; autos are ok, but I want to have the fun factor, not to mention I eventually want to go to a road course; I'm not gonna drag it. I figure if I do it myself, with only getting an upgraded clutch and an LSD, that 200whp is do-able. I not gonna go much past that; I don't have $3000 for a blower or turbo. I wanna have an awesome NA Focus that can handle, and a manual to back it up.[:D]

where are you getting a tranny for that?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
even if you take a big hit on trade in, it is cheaper to just get rid of the car and buy a manual car. period. not a good thing to swap trannies

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the thing is, I cant afford any type of hit. I'm in college, and am kind of going by the skin of my teeth (not that badly though). I can get a tranny for that price with 6k on it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
don't forget about shifter and linkage

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
man...
there are too many detail....
you will spend easily like 1500 on the swap..
anyway...
let us know how it went and how much $$ youfinally spent...
many of the A-Team are waiting....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll keep everyone informed, and I'm sure I'll have more questions [;)]

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well parts list will be.

Tranny
Pedals
ECU
Wirring harness
Not sure but most likely drive shafts
Clutch cables
Clutch Resivor(i think the have one)

Istall wil be bitch and you can probably expect to have around 3,000 grand invested in the hole deal and thats going with a new centerfoce clutch and thats it. Looking at around 4K with a LSD. (i did a check on this a while back)

Simply put really not worth it.

you would be better off with a Lantech performance tranny with a lifetime warranty that can handle a lot more power

·
Registered
963 Posts
my bro bought an auto gsx and changed it over to a 5 speed in a weekend, he said it was cake. not sure how different they are but im sure it cant be that hard

1 - 20 of 44 Posts