Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up

so after talking to my mechanic about some thoughts on my tranny he says i need to replace my clutch...now i have a 01 zx3 with 37,000+...its hard to shift in the morning (im forcing it in to gears but with no grind yet) i have also noticed its fells rough going in to gears after warmed up...

so looking at clutches i have picked two of them centerforce or the spec stage one...now i have to say that i do drive hard and i do a lot of high rpm (6,000s) run outs i guess u could call it... i have searched and see a lot of people dont like the centerforce but i was wondering if u installed it or had it installed

thanks for the help
Focus matt[thumb]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Clutch? I have 92K+ on my clutch and gears with no probs, and I dont baby my driveline. You dont have slipage in shifts, but its hard to shift? You may have ground down your blocking rings (stop,or synchro rings), depending on the way you shift. Drain and refill your tranny fluid and look at whats in it. Any metal chips are not good (granted). Gold looking shavings are your blocking rings, just metal might be the clutch gear. Either way I dont think its the clutch. Well from the Info given, anyway. Thats how I would approch the situation. I have no Input on AM clutches, but I dont think thats your problem as this point.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Next time you're driving, get up to about 25 and drop into 4th and hammer on the throttle. If the engine bogs you're fine, if it revs and you don't speed up your clutch is worn. If its really worn, it should be hard to get started (you'll need to rev up to about 3,000 RPMs with the clutch all the way out just to get going.) Based on what you're saying, I'd second the syncro opinion...sounds like your mechanic might just be trying to make a quick buck by fixing something that's relatively easy to do even if it doesn need it. Or he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
If you need a clutch try Mcnewsautomotive.com, they have installed and driven quite a few and will have a good price on it as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It is possible for a clutch to be "bad" without being worn out.If the pressure plate has a weak or broken spring the surface will not be parallel to the flywheel and even when disengaged will allow enough contact on the clutch disc to cause dragging, and the symptoms focusmatt is describing.There is NOTHING wrong with Centerforce clutches.I have installed many of them in customers cars(and a few of my own).On the street or strip,they hold strong,are smooth and have a great lifespan even when abused.I suspect the "problems" you are hearing about them are from improper installations.Once the clutch wears out in my Focus,I will be installing a Centerforce in it as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i did the 4 gear drop and smash and no high rpms...so now how much would it be to do syncro for every gear?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i think the synchros aren't that expensive it's just the labor involved that will cost u a lot of money, since the tranny will need to be removed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is it hard to shift between gears like 1st to 2nd/2nd to 3rd all the way up? Or is it hard to get it into 1st gear from a stop? If the clutch wasnt fully disengaging it would be hard to get it into first from a dead stop. If you start the car let out on the clutch, push the clutch back in and immediatly try to put it into any gear it would grind. It would also be hard to shift once you get going. but at a dead stop is the best way to tell if your clutch isnt disengaging. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im just going to get it looked at to many different opinons of what could be going wrong so i just have someone look at...i will get a couple different people or companys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts