Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased an 04 focus svt. On my way in to work it broke down on me. It can be in neutral and when I start it and let out of the clutch, or go to let out of the clutch it will start to die. When I push back in on the clutch the rpm comes back up. When it's running and I put it in gear, while the clutch is still in it won't roll but the minute I take it out of gear and let out of the clutch, it still wants to die.. anyone else ever ran into this?

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,206 Posts
Does it rev slow or quickly? Did you have prior sputtering while cruising ? Do you have a check engine light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it rev slow or quickly? Did you have prior sputtering while cruising ? Do you have a check engine light?
I'd guess it revs normal, nothing out of the ordinary from when I went to test drive it Saturday.. the guy said to check the linkage under the hood and I did but it's freed up. When I put it in gear, it almost doesn't want to come out of gear? And while I hold the clutch in in neutral, it'll roll but the minute I put it in gear, with the clutch still in, it won't roll

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the check engine is on for an o2 sensor, I got the new one with it just needs installed

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I see it. Sounds like the fuel filter is clogged or you have water in your fuel. Did you just put fuel in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I filled up yesterday while it was nice and sunny out with 93.. but would that cause the car to bog down and die like that? Cause I can be in neutral, start it and go to let out of the clutch but not all the way while in neutral and it bogs down but if I push it back in it'll stay running?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes. Enough fuel to idle. Not enough to accelerate. If you have a K&N air filter you may have fouled the mass air sensor with oil. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
After reading the posts over,you may have not adjusted the cable correctly and it is in 3rd instead of first. Facebook SVT page will get you quicker answers.

·
FF Affiliate
30,614 Posts
So when you let out on the clutch why giving it gas it wont take the fuel and go ??? Or ?

You dont need to go to FB there is far more knowledge here with out the BS

Tom

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Tom. With all due respect, there is plenty of knowledge on the Facebook site. Backstabbing as well. Sorry for your troubles but there are tuner wars on every motorcycle and car page on the internet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I just purchased an 04 focus svt. On my way in to work it broke down on me. It can be in neutral and when I start it and let out of the clutch, or go to let out of the clutch it will start to die. When I push back in on the clutch the rpm comes back up. When it's running and I put it in gear, while the clutch is still in it won't roll but the minute I take it out of gear and let out of the clutch, it still wants to die.. anyone else ever ran into this?
I think the key detail others may be missing here is that this occurs in NEUTRAL. First, be sure the car is really in neutral by manually rolling it forward/back a few feet on a flat surface/driveway, etc. Now that you are positive it's in neutral, set the parking brake, and troubleshoot the safety switch on the clutch pedal, which is designed to cut the engine ignition if the clutch is not depressed during starting. I'm sure there is a thread on here about the clutch safety switch gone bad somewhere, but it's very basic and can easily be bypassed if it's bad. This is my best guess and the first thing I would check if it's really happening when the tranny is in neutral. The mass airflow sensor can get clogged up if an oil-type drop-in-filter was installed prior, but it's normally not an all-or-nothing instantaneous issue; had that problem once too after installing a K&N, LOL. Do not try to clean the MAF in the car as you will fry your O2 sensors; take it out and clean it if necessary. To test for MAF problem you simply disconnect the MAF sensor connector and see how it runs on 'default mapping'...if it's better, then take sensor out and clean it properly with the right cleaner and be sure it's dry/evaporated before reinstalling sensor, etc. Oh, and don't forget to resolve the most common source of MAF contamination, lol, (over-oiled air filter, anyone, anyone?).

Anyways, just check the basics before you get to fretting too much; little things like the clutch safety switch getting grounded due to routing/worn wire/broken switch housing will make you crazy unless you take a breath and eliminate the most obvious causality based on your observable symptoms. But you can literally check the clutch cutout switch and disconnect/test the MAF sensor (just above the airbox) in like 5 minutes. If, like you said in a follow-on post, the car won't come out of gear, then something more nefarious is going on and you may want to press the prior owner on what he's done to the car if you don't have a good history on it already. Regardless, apply Hockam's razor theorem and eliminate the easily checked/diagnosed low hanging fruit first to get to the root-cause issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After reading the posts over,you may have not adjusted the cable correctly and it is in 3rd instead of first. Facebook SVT page will get you quicker answers.
Based on posts, he has not adjusted anything under the hood, and he just bought the car this past weekend. I do like your theories on the MAF and/or clogged fuel filter, but I've experienced both the MAF issue and exactly what he's reporting with the engine cutting out as soon as the clutch isn't depressed fully, which is the definitive 'tell' for his underlying issue; a shorted/busted safety switch.

So, I'm going with a shorted clutch safety cutout switch as root-cause, which would account for the engine cutting out/dying anytime he begins to let the clutch out, and rendering the car inoperable until it's fixed/bypassed...final answer, for the win. :) The good news is it's easily bypassed to get the car running normally again, and doesn't cost anything. A headlamp for light in the footwell, some electrical tape, and voila'...it's mounted up around the pivot point on the clutch pedal.

Mine broke so long ago during a particularly spirited driving session, lol, but I clearly remember digging through my Haynes manual frantically and looking at literally everything else on the car related to fuel & ignition before I eventually eliminated everything else and narrowed it down to that stupid, overpriced, little wanker of a safety switch, which doesn't even belong on a performance car. I wasn't even going to read this thread but figured what the heck I might pick up a nugget or two I could use down the road. Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
So when you let out on the clutch why giving it gas it wont take the fuel and go ??? Or ?

You dont need to go to FB there is far more knowledge here with out the BS

Tom
Heh-heh, difficult to see the dark side is (in my best Yoda voiceover); I'm with Tom on this one...plenty of knowledge amongst us old speed-freaks that have owned these cars since they came out, and most issues are already documented in the older threads and stickies for those willing to search for their issue topically. Oh, and screw FB fanboys too, LOL! Troubleshooting anything remotely takes great attention to detail, and in this case, the answer was evident from the details in his opening post, but only if you've ever experienced it yourself...a shorted clutch safety switch is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I wouldn't recommend FB if you SVT veterans actually responded to posts in a timely matter. Screw FB haters. Boomers. Sheesh.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts