Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had a deal I couldn't pass up. Traded the 2012 for a 2008. Had the same equipment as the 2012 with only 17,000 miles. An old man traded it in at our work. I finally decided with my wife driving at night from work and the constant problems with the transmission, I didn't want her to break down from the transmission module or the clutch crap out. We at work still thinks it's programming issue with these transmissions. We have put clutches on the program only to come back with the same problem. Our car was shuddering in 2nd gear all the way to 3rd. At least with this one maybe we can run to 200,000 miles hopefully. I don't have the finaces to fix the transmission problems after it hits 100,000 miles, which comes quick the way we drive. LOL Sorry, no pics. It's just a plain silver Focus 4 door.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Traded a 2 years old car for a 6 years old one... even with low miles car still wear...

Unless it also paid cash to compensate the value... if not sorry but its not a good deal.

A car that don't move is also bad... (often low miles for that year means a lot of short trips!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cash. Got a little back on it. They was reluctant to do it though. We have a few used Focuses on the lot and they are not moving much. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
747 Posts
This is just conjecture but okay, hmm. You seem to work at a dealership/service depo and have a problem transmission. You live in Arkansas where there is a lemon law. How is it possible that you can't prove there is an issue? Trading a 2012 for a 2008 just doesn't make sense unless you ended up with a more expensive older car. Trading cheap for cheap is mind boggling. I really want to know how you weren't able to get this fixed or bought back by ford when you seemingly have easier access than the vast majority of us on the boards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
14 years selling used cars and 7+ years at my current Ford dealership selling used cars. It is true that used the new body focus does not sell as fast as some used models BUT if your 12 was paid for and you even traded for a 2008 the dealership got the better end of that deal. lets say you had 40k on yours....you would be looking at 9-11k trade in value depending on condition. You traded it for a car that even with the miles they would have been hard pressed to give much more than 4-6k$ in trade. (first figure that comes to mind is 4500 but it sounds real nice so 5-5500 is what I would guess at....)

now having done this for so long I know there are many things about a car deal that I can not tell from your post but I don't think they did you any favors here....

·
Registered
518 Posts
It seems like a good decision to get out of all the tranny problems. I would not want my wife driving this car either.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It will be interesting to see if any issues with dry rot come up with low mile car. I bought a low mile car once and after putting on lots of miles, had leaking gaskets.

·
Registered
822 Posts
A car that don't move is also bad... (often low miles for that year means a lot of short trips!)
Yes that can be the case. The reason being that moisture that gets into the crankcase is burned off when the engine gets up to full temperature for a while. A car driven short distances that doesn't allow the engine to get up to full temperature for a while and the moisture instead of getting burned off, runs back into the crank case where it collects in the oil. Water + oil = bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts