Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a sad day Saturday. We decided to trade the Focus in, I'll be sad to see it go. It has been a great car, never an issue and great gas mileage but it is time for something bigger. My 5 year old has issues getting in and out of the back. I thought it wasn't going to be worth much but they are giving me pretty good amount for it so it is time to move on.[bawling]

·
Registered
154 Posts
You know we wanna know what you're getting....

·
Registered
151 Posts
He might still be in a booster...
My 5'10" 15 year old fits in the backseat just fine, but a booster seat really kicks forward, so I can see where it might be an issue.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
He might still be in a booster...
My 5'10" 15 year old fits in the backseat just fine, but a booster seat really kicks forward, so I can see where it might be an issue.
I have a huge toddler seat and a booster seat in the back. Sure it's tight for the toddler to get into the big seat with the front seat most of the way back on the track. The booster seat on the passenger side is no problem whatsoever - for my family anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That was my only guess.
And it's been a few years since my kids were in boosters. (The afore-mentioned teen gets his learners permit next week [:(] )

·
Registered
180 Posts
I got rid of a 1997 Mustang GT Convert for this very reason. Took a bath on that car when I traded it in because it was a manual trans.

Now that the kids are driving their own cars I am thinking of another Mustang...LOL. The $20 fill at the gas pump has spoiled me though and my '12 Focus is doing very well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I owned the car for just over 2.5 years and my ownership cost is about .11 per mile. I see this as pretty good.
My 5 yo is over 4 feet tall and has a hard time getting in and out of his chair and not much leg room when in his chair. His feet use the center council, I'm over 6' and my wife is just under 6'.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thought it was in the last post. I got about 6600 less than I paid for it new trading it in with about 60k on it. So if you take into account that the dealer needs to make something on it the car didn't depreciate much. I was surprised I got that and paid the least for the new vehicle according to truecar.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got about 6600 less than I paid for it new trading it in with about 60k on it.
Lucky! My 2012 SE with just under 58,000 miles on it netted me a trade value right around what I owed on it (was actually upside down thanks to my crappy previous rates). So my car was worth almost $12,000 less than it was the day I got it (disregarding interest rates)! And despite the high miles, that car was in excellent shape with next to no flaws... Depreciation sucks!

[mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch, that really sucks. An SE with not much on it only sold for around 16, that doesn't leave you with much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And I thought I had a lot of miles on my '13 Titanium. Just turned 16K.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The focus is being replaced with a 2001 LeSabre, lol. I'm going back to a beater car for a few years, and the wife is getting a new explorer. The one I'm afraid of is when I have to replace my truck in a few years, those things are crazy expensive now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ouch, that really sucks. An SE with not much on it only sold for around 16, that doesn't leave you with much.
Actually when I bought my 2012 they had just hit lots and were hard to find... So my SE was a pretty loaded SE with quite a few options... So it was nearly $22K on the sticker, and since it was brand spanking new to the market incentives were slim...

I Think I got maybe $500 off sticker and I put $500 down. So my '12 cost a little over $20K and I got $9500 at trade-in.

I would love to have only taken a $6K hit and gotten $14K for the trade.

[:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~][:)~]

·
Registered
151 Posts
And that is why I never buy new.
Look on any depreciation curve...2-3 years old is usually the sweet spot. Still new enough people keep asking if its a '15, but old enough that the new buyer ate the biggest percentage of depreciation and got the early issues fixed under warranty.
A modern car will go an easy 150-200k miles, so those first 20-30k are pretty much irrelevant, anyway.
Even if I had the disposable income to blow, eating a new car's depreciation, I doubt I would for the simple fact that the very idea pisses me off. lol

. The one I'm afraid of is when I have to replace my truck in a few years, those things are crazy expensive now.
We've been babying our '97 Powerstroke for this same reason. It has nearly 300,000 miles on it and is starting to have issues occasionally. We fix and cross our fingers for a few thousand more miles before the next little fix.
We simply can not afford to replace it with something much newer!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
And that is why I never buy new.
Look on any depreciation curve...2-3 years old is usually the sweet spot. Still new enough people keep asking if its a '15, but old enough that the new buyer ate the biggest percentage of depreciation and got the early issues fixed under warranty.
A modern car will go an easy 150-200k miles, so those first 20-30k are pretty much irrelevant, anyway.
Even if I had the disposable income to blow, eating a new car's depreciation, I doubt I would for the simple fact that the very idea pisses me off. lol

We've been babying our '97 Powerstroke for this same reason. It has nearly 300,000 miles on it and is starting to have issues occasionally. We fix and cross our fingers for a few thousand more miles before the next little fix.
We simply can not afford to replace it with something much newer!
Like I always tell my wife... you don't pay every month the car once it's paid. Not buying a new car save you every month 350$... in your pocket. At the end of the year, yes, you paid maybe 1000$ in repair if your car is old, but you saved 3200$...

·
Registered
990 Posts
my last two cars I bought new.
I had a 2004 stratus where the engine blew the second time at 68k miles and dodge wouldn't cover it under warranty. So we traded it in with a large amount of negative equity.
Then I traded that car about four years later with a little less negative equity on the 2014 I have now.

The only reason we bought new is because it's easier to finance negative equity on new cars. si when I go to trade in the 2014 I'll probably go a model year or two ilder and try to get something a little more fun.

Just wanted to illustrate why someone might by new and just eat the depreciation.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts