Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Honda and Toyo tend to hold value like crazy, so this is believable. The Focus drops like a rock, partially due to below ave quality ratings (thanks, DCT). I bought mine at roughly 50% of the MSRP when it was two years old and still looked showroom new.
This is where I screwed up. Instead of buying a 1-year old 5-speed SE with 3K miles on it for 13K, I bought mine brand new. What an expensive lesson.....

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Hey guys my 2011 SES 5spd (Rare!!) is in perfect condition and has way below average mileage, I'm selling it for $14k because it's so perfect and is rare and hard to find and is not ugly like lower trim levels.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Hey guys my 2011 SES 5spd (Rare!!) is in perfect condition and has way below average mileage, I'm selling it for $14k because it's so perfect and is rare and hard to find and is not ugly like lower trim levels.
I bought it "Certified Pre-Owned" directly from a Ford dealership in 2011 which is way better than single-owner because it's been inspected by certified FORD techs!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just bought a 15 se Hatch sport edition (17" wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes with Backup cam and leather seats) with manual transmission at a dealer auto auction. It needed 4 tires but is otherwise stock with 35k miles, one owner clean carfax with maintence records. I paid $8800 plus $400 buy fee. Typical dealer markup is $1500-3k, and adding reconditioning fees on top of that, these are still not cheap cars to buy. The manual is a rare option and there are buyers out there looking for them. I looked for a few months just to even see one come across the auction block.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I got a lead on a -mint- 2013 Titanium, low miles! Very hard to come by.

I’m thinking about putting my ‘13 up for sale but it will sell fast. Price will be 16k. Let me know because I’d had a lot of DM’s about the car already. Will consider an even trade with a ‘16-‘18 ST w/ under 15k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I'm looking to buy a truck and went to the ford dealer and for shits and giggles had them appraise my 2016 focus s with a 5 speed.

Car is in great shape, except for the 45K miles on the odometer. Sales manager came back with $4,800 and a few minutes later said he would go to $5K.

The reason being it's a 5 speed and nobody would buy it. And he would probably have to send it to auction. BTW - I've heard that line before from another dealer. (Said they would have to send to auction and the next day the car was for sale on their lot and was sold within 2 days)

I know these car depreciate like crazy, but holy shoot! I was not expecting it to be that low.
So I'm looking to buy a truck and went to the ford dealer and for shits and giggles had them appraise my 2016 focus s with a 5 speed.

Car is in great shape, except for the 45K miles on the odometer. Sales manager came back with $4,800 and a few minutes later said he would go to $5K.

The reason being it's a 5 speed and nobody would buy it. And he would probably have to send it to auction. BTW - I've heard that line before from another dealer. (Said they would have to send to auction and the next day the car was for sale on their lot and was sold within 2 days)

I know these car depreciate like crazy, but holy shoot! I was not expecting it to be that low.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am retired after 40 years in the auto industry having started as a VW salesman in the 60's and retiring as a large CPDJ dealer. I've 'desked' thousands of deals and appraised countless cars. I state this to let you know I'm more than qualified to address your issue. Demand for cars is way down vs. crossovers which are soaring. Nonetheless, what you were told about your trade in is, absent dreadful condition, not accurate. Your mileage is lower than average and not cause for a value reduction. Just the opposite. Your car has a wholesale value in the high $7K range which, based on demand for manual transmissions may have resulted in the lower appraisal but that car has a buyer and the way to find him/her is in Autotrader. Detail the car, have all service records handy (3K oil changes with 6K tire rotations are big pluses) and it will sell. Used cars are HOT due to declining new car (sedan, hatchback) sales and the supply is low. I buy a new vehicle for my wife and I every other year and get top dollar for each before buying new ones at cost from dealer pals. I watch the auction results weekly and that dealer needs a new appraiser or used car manager since they tried to steal your trade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I watched my 2016 manual S sit on a Chrysler dealer's used lot for over three months before I pulled the trigger on it last year. 12.5k miles on the clock. Some rock chips on the front and hood but otherwise still looked and smelled brand new. Wound up getting it for less than $10k. Had to threaten to walk away a couple times to get that price, but they were desperate to get it gone.
Funny thing is they had a 2014 SE automatic and 45k on the clock sitting right next to mine with an asking price $3k more than mine.
It's amazing to me that someone would be willing to pay more for a car that's older, higher mileage, and more problem prone (DCT), while I drove away in a perfectly good car still under factory warranty for under $10k. Outside of some token "luxuries", the only real difference is the auto vs manual transmission.

The "clutch pedal crowd" is definitely shrinking and becoming more niche. I'm happy to be a part of it though. You just have to recognize that selling is probably best done via private party rather than trade in.

On a side note, when I bought the Focus, out of curiosity I asked them how much they'd give me on my 1999 Lincoln Continental (looks new on the outside, but 150k miles, torn seats, no roof lining, broken A/C, sketchy transmission, sketchy window motors). Just with them looking at it from a distance, and not knowing anything but the mileage, they offered me $300 trade in. HAHA! Scrap yard price.
A year later I'm still daily driving the Lincoln till the transmission falls out of it. Meanwhile the Focus sits in the garage depreciating but pretty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So an update.
Sold the car to carmax last month. It had 77Kmiles and they gave me $5K for it. Same amount the dealer offered 10 months ago. This time it had a minor scratch on the rear fender (which they fixed) otherwise clean inside and out. Carmax put new tires on it. They had it on their lot for $10K for 3 weeks before it was sold.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts